FORMER LEGAT'S SCHOOL OF BALLET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1027966
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1991
Statutory Address:
FORMER LEGAT'S SCHOOL OF BALLET, CATT'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER LEGAT'S SCHOOL OF BALLET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1027966 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:46:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER LEGAT'S SCHOOL OF BALLET, CATT'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Wealden (District Authority)
Parish:
Rotherfield
National Grid Reference:
TQ 57697 30775

Details

ROTHERFIELD CATT'S HILL TQ 53 SE Former Legat's School 14/1005 of Ballet

GV II

Former orphanage, later girls school, derelict at time of survey. 1865-8 by Edward Welby Pugin as a girls orphanage. Gothic style. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, polychromatic black headers and slate roof with ribbed brick chimneystacks. 3 storeys and attics: 19 windows. Comprises central gabled feature, recessed wings and end gables. Central projecting gable has elaborate saddlestone and 2nd floor 4 light window with typanum depicting Christ with mothers and children. Quatrefoil transomes. Larger and elaborate lst floor window 4-light with central sculpture of St George slaying the dragon. Tefoliated window heads with quatrefoil motifs above and to balustrading and aprons. Arched doorcase to ground floor with dying mouldings and female masks. Double doors with chamfered panels. Recessed wings on each side of 7 bays. Mansard roofs with some bands of fishscale tiles, corbelled eaves and diamond motifs in black headers. 7 narrow gabled dormers with finials. 1st floor has 7 arched windows with mullions and transomes, trefoil heads and cinquefoil lights. Ground floor has 14 Caernarvon arched windows. End gables have saddlestones. 2nd floor 3-light mullioned and transomed casement with cinquefoil above. 1st floor has 2 trefoil windows and ground floor has 4 Caernarvon arched windows. Buttresses to left is a further 2 storey portion with 4 paired Caernarvon arched windows to 1st floor and to ground floor triple arched windows with quatrefoils. Plinth. Return elevation to right has 6 gabled dormers,6 Caernarvon arched sashes to 1st floor and 5 cambered windows to ground floor and the 1 storey service wing has 6 windows, mainly sashes but including 2 double Caernarvon arched windows. Rear elevation has 14 dormers. Cambered windows to ground and 1st floors. Central gable has transomed window to 2nd floor with trefoliated head and 3 light mullioned and transomed window to 1st floor. Right side gable has rose window. This was built as a pair with the boys orphanage of the same date; now Mayfield College and the convent of the Holy Child Jesus at Mayfield. It was originally built for about 120 girls and lodging for a community of religious women in charge. Up until c1924 the Society of the Holy Child Jesus was in charge.(see Builder 17 June 1865 p440, Builder 28 July 1866 p559 and Plates pp560-1: Building News 28 July 1865 p540; 11 May 1866 p309 and plates.

Listing NGR: TQ5769730775

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
297129
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 28 July, (1866), 559
'Building News' in 28 July, (1865), 540
'The Builder' in 17 June, (1865), 440
'Building News' in 11 May, (1866), 309

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/11303/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].