CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1028685
Date first listed:
07-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:40:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 19286 58005

Details

ASHTEAD ASHTEAD PARK TQ 1858-1958 7/13 & 8/13 7.9.51 Church of St Giles GV II*

Parish church. Early C12 nave (extended westwards in early C15), C13 chancel, early C15 west tower; heavily restored and altered, and south porch, north transept and choir vestry added, in C19. Mostly flint, with some Roman tiles included, some C19 red brick, limestone and sandstone dressings, stone slate roof. The tower, rectangular in plan and of 4 low stages, the upper half set back slightly, has a chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses and south-east stair-turret; a 4-centred arched west doorway with strap-hinged studded plank double-doors, cavetto moulding to the arch, hollow spandrels, a square-headed cavetto-moulded surround and a C19 hoodmould with figured stops; a C19 square-headed 3-light window to the 2nd stage, C19 2-fight windows on each stage above, both with arched lights and the upper with wooden louvres; a C19 embattled parapet; and a pyramidal roof with weathervane. The other sides of the tower have belfry windows only, that on the east side of 3 lights; and the stair-turret has small square-headed lancets on 3 levels (now glazed). The 3-bay nave has a gabled south porch in the centre, a 2-centred arched 2-light window to the left and a square-headed 3-light window to the right, all these C19. The 2-bay chancel has similar windows in reverse order, diagonal buttresses at the east end, a C19 4- centred arched 3-light east window, and traces of a former gable line to the left of this. The north side is mostly covered by the C19 transept and vestry. Interior: C19 scissor-braced roofs in nave and transept, C19 wagon-roof in chancel, all elaborately carved; C16 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; C16 Flemish east window (attributed to Lambert Lombard of Liege), formerly in the abbey of Herckenrode and presented to this church in 1818; numerous wall monuments in the chancel, including: 2 small lettered brasses to Dorothea Quinnella (d.1640) and John Browne (d.1590) "Sergeant of Her Majesties Wood Yeard"; wall tablets to Henry Newdigate (d.1629) - in rectangular architrave with Ionic pilasters; Sarah Bond (d.1712) - a fine draped aedicule with weeping putti etc; William, son of George Duncumb (d.1698) - architrave with fluted Ionic colonettes; Thomas Howard (d.1701) - in a fine aedicule with putti and crest; Diana, Lady Dudley and Ward (d.1709) - carved aedicule with crest; Frances Howard (d.1818); Fulke Greville Howard (d.1846); and in the nave, a large pedimented monument to Lady Diana Fielding (d.1733), with a bust in a circular recess. History: originated as chapel to the manor of Ashtead, and stands close to the site of the former manor house.

Listing NGR: TQ1928658005

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
290395
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00707/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron Boon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].