CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1028904
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1028904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 05:16:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16540 49499

Details

TQ 1649 Church of St Martin 850/1/222

11.06.1973 II*

Church. 1868-77 by Henry Woodyer; Lady Chapel 1905-13. Coursed knapped flint with ashlar quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof with decorative ridge tiles to chancel; ashlar spire. 4-bay nave with 8-bay lean-to aisles and clerestorey, south porch, 3-storey north transept; lower 4-bay chancel with 3-bay Lady Chapel to south and lower 2-bay vestry to north; 4-stage west tower with spire and north-east vice. In C14 Gothic style having chamfered plinth; quoined butresses with offsets; roll-moulded pointed-arched doors and windows, the doors of several orders with attached columns, the windows of 2 or 3 lights with cusped tracery and those of chancel having hoodmoulds with decorated terminals; parapets with roll-moulded coping, chancel parapet pierced with decorative tracery; raised verges, with Celtic cross finial to nave. Nave: clerestorey has tripled 2-light windows and pilaster butresses between bays; at east gable, 2 quatrefoils flanking crocketed finials. South porch: gableted buttresses with blind tracery; entrance flanked by diagonally-set ashlar piers with crocketed finials; gable has spherical triangle window and decorative iron finial. Chancel: 5-light window and decorative kneelers to east end; south chapel has gableted bays and priest's door on left. West tower: gableted angle buttresses surmounted by figurines. Steps up to west door which has heavily roll-moulded surround of 3 orders and wooden doors with radiating iron strp-hinges. Deep ashlar band above pierced by narrow lights. Cross-windows to 3rd stage below added ashlar clock face with decorated surround and date 1883. Paired 2-light louvred belfry openings. Vice has steps up to door, quatrefoils and gableted 2-light windows at top. Broached spire with gableted corner pinacles, a pierced gableted 2-light window at base on each side, and iron finial. Interior: grey stone columns to chancel arch and to nave arcade, which has fruit and flower bosses to continuous hooldmould, and grey stone colonettes to windows. Decorative wooden roof trusses, of king-post type to nave. In chancel, carved ashlar sedilia and piscina and highly decorated reredos of ashlar and marble with gilding. C19 stained glass throughout and much rich mural wall decoration, including chancel arch tympanum, by Arthur Powell. Octagonal font, donated 1897, richly-decorated in C14 style. Carved octagonal wooden font of c1500, probably made in the Netherlands. Decorative wooden altar rail, organ casing and choir stalls. Series of re-set C18 and C19 wall monuments in tower, including good Rococo monument of Abraham Talbot, d1774. Bronze memorial to Dr Ralph Vaughan Williams in porch.





Listing NGR: TQ1654049499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289838
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16133/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Woolterton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].