THE ANGEL HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1029282

Date first listed: 01-May-1953

Statutory Address: THE ANGEL HOTEL, 91, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ANGEL HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029282 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:03:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ANGEL HOTEL, 91, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 99663 49457

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 9949SE GUILDFORD HIGH STREET (North Side) 8/61 No. 91 (The Angel 1/5/53 Hotel)

GV II* Hotel, former posting house. C13 undercroft below with C16 and C17 framed house above, re-clad in the C19 and extended to rear around courtyard in later C19 and C20. Chalk and brick undercroft, timber framed house above with frame exposed on right hand return front, colourwashed stucco on front with stone-coped parapet obscuring hipped plain tiled roofs, end-on to street, slate roofs over rear ranges. Three storey three windowed range to left, two storey two windowed range to right with stacks to left of centre. Vermiculated-block end pilasters and eaves cornice above. Three bay range to left has C19 12-pane glazing-bar sash fenestration, 3 windows on first and second floors in projecting architrave surrounds and with corbelled sills. S-section iron balconys across the first floor and extending to the right hand range. Rusticated ground floor with two tripartite glazing-bar sash windows under voussoir heads. Basement window to left where ground slopes away. Double doors to centre under flat cornice hood on Doric pilasters. Right hand range - has three 12-pane glazing-bar sash windows on the first floor over through- way to courtyard below under elliptical arch with keystone and chamfered piers flanking. Right hand return wall facing throughway:- frame exposed with white- washed brick infill. Braced main posts and wide joists over end bay. Main lintel on left wall of throughway in Jacobean style with lozenge panel decoration. One double bay arcade to right now filled in with leaded glass and strapwork decoration. Jacobean Ionic baluster pilasters to ends with block band and lozenge decorations. Late C19 and C20 ranges around a cobbled courtyard to the rear, mainly executed in imitation timber frame style with gables projecting and balcony across the first floor of the northern (rear range) containing a further passage giving access to North Street. Interior:- exposed framing throughout, some imitation and much re-used. Entrance hall has C20 timber and panelled gallery around sides, deep fireplace to one end and blocked 4-light mullioned window in side wall. Complex roof plan with wind- bracing and braced collar trusses. Undercroft - C13 chalk and stone with 6 bays of quadripartite rib vaulting. carried on round piers and wall corbels; stepped plinths to centre piers. The Angel undercroft appears to be an exception to the standard plan in that it has an internal staircase to the floor above (as does Nos. 72/4 High Street), but also seems to be unique in having no direct access from the main (High) street. The principal entrance was from the rear of the building and originally there were two windows built in the front wall facing the High Street, one of which was removed in 1939 but originally consisted of 2 chamfered pointed lights:

Photographs in N.M.R.

MARGARET WOOD: THIRTEENTH CENTURY DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE IN ENGLAND (Article) ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL 105 (1950)suppl. p.83 and pl. 8L. SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS (OFFPRINT) VOL. LXXIV (1983): (Article) THE UNDERCROFT 72/4 HIGH STR. GUILDFORD BY M. G. O'CONNELL AND SHIRLEY CORKE. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.282.

Listing NGR: SU9964949493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 288923

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)
'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Surrey Archaeological Collections, , Vol. 74, (1983)
Wood, M E, 'Archaeological Journal Supplement' in Thirteenth Century Domestic Architecture in England, , Vol. 105, (1950), 83

End of official listing