CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1029360
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 02:10:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
West Clandon
National Grid Reference:
TQ 04418 51250

Details

TQ 05SW WEST CLANDON C.P. THE STREET (West Side) 4/223 Church of St Peter and 14/6/67 St Paul

II*

Church. Nave late C12, chancel C13 with tower to north of 1879 by J. C. Boys, who restored the Church, spire rebuilt by T. G. Jackson in 1913. Random flint rubble with stone dressings, plain tiled roofs, renewed, with weatherboarded and wooden louvred top section to short tower, wood shingled broach spire above. Nave with south porch, chancel to east with tower to north-east and vestry to north east corner. Short tower with offset buttresses to north corners, and polygonal stair turret under gabled roof to south west angle, at junction with nave. Squat broach spire above. Five trefoil-light, cusped-head,depressed arches to each face of the tower at the top. Large C19/C20 arched window to north with clock face above. Diagonal buttresses to east end with C14 East Window: Three trefoil, ogee arched lights with 2 centre arch and cusped net tracery. Two chamfered orders and label outside. West Window C15 with cinque-foil lights under flat segmental arch. Two Lancet windows and sundial to north side of chancel, one C19 window to south side. Double Lancet to west side of south wall, renewed window. Gabled, half-open porch to south, some timbers originating from C14. C19 stone, chamfered, round arched surround to south door. Interior: heavily restored 6 bay nave. Nave roof C15, collar beams and tie beams surviving, reconstructed in C19. C14 chancel roof, chancel arch widened. Fittings: South wall. Two piscinae, the eastern one round headed, western square. C13 sedelia -C13 with engaged shaft on each jamb in hollow chamfers, moulded base with 3 rounds and bell capitals. Late C19 pulpit, stone with black marble pillars and roundel decoration. Font - Sussex marble bowl, square,with tapering sides in which are arcades of shallow circular headed arches, part chiselled off. Centre stem with surrounding angle pillars. Onslow pew - to west end of nave. Fine late C17, possibly Italian, with carved arm rests with cherub's heads. Painting - 3 figures on board to south side of chancel. Carving - panel of dragon & reptile fighting, attached to S. Porch.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 506-7. V.C.H. Surrey (1967 ed) Vol III pp 348-9.

Listing NGR: TQ0441851250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288804
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 348-9
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 506-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00659/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F Jack Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].