CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1029601

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:33:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Guildford (District Authority)

Parish: Puttenham

National Grid Reference: SU 93308 47861

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 94 NW PUTTENHAM C.P. THE STREET (south side)

8/95 Church of 14.6.67 St.John the Baptist

GV II*

Church. C12 arcade and door, C13 nave and chancel with C14 south transept, C15 tower, vestry rebuilt in 1770; all restored in 1861 by H. Woodyer and 1868 by Charles Kerry. Sandstone rubble with chalk dressing, partly replaced with Bath stone, red brick quoins to tower. Red and blue brick chapel to north on stone plinth with rendered chancel to east. Plain tiled roofs, pyramidal over tower. Nave with north aisle and porch to south, chancel to east with vestry (former Lady Chapel) to north, organ loft to south and tower to west end. Square tower with stair-vice to south east angle, diagonal offset buttresses to west end. 3 stages with tiled plinth and rendered parapet. Double arched, louvred, openings to each face on top stage. Large C19 window to west. Double ribbed doors below on west end. Most windows replaced in C19, 3 triangular stone dormers in north side of nave. 2, arched, leaded casement windows in vestry, windows to south mixed Decorated and Rectilinear with stone tracery. Gabled porch to south with outer glazed doors, inner wood door. Further door to north.

Interior: stone floors, 4 bay nave arcade to north, circa 1160, round pier with square scalloped capitals and and unchamfered arches with crimped plasterwork surrounds. Bases of piers rise from bay to bay towards west. South doorway circa 1170. Round arched with deep moulding and keeling. Chancel arch, circa 1200 with simple imposts and pointed arched surround, chamfered inner order. Two bay chancel with unmoulded arches. C14 cambered tie beams to roof. C20 fittings, part Gothic, part classical by Randoll Blacking in 1936. Octagonal stone font with trefoil panels and inches.

Monuments: some early C19 white stone wall tablets by local mason.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 417-8.

V.C.H. SURREY. VOL III pp 52-8.

Listing NGR: SU9330847861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 288159

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 52-58
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 417-418

End of official listing