CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1029813
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:10:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Chaldon
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30874 55694

Details

TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CHURCH LANE, FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CHALDON 2/8 Church of St. Peter and 21.9.54 St.Paul

GV I

Church. C11 origin, mostly late C12 and early C13 with south porch C16 (restored in C19), and tower of 1843. Flint rubble with stone dressings, ashlar to the tower. Plain tiled roofs with wood shingled broach spire. Nave and aisles with porch and tower to the south; chancel to the east with former chapel (now vestry) to the north and chapel to the south. All window tracery restored, decorated style on east window. Timber framed gabled porch with planked and studded oak doors.

Interior: stone floor, 2 bay nave arcades on circular piers with slightly chamfered arches to the south, doubled chamfer to the north. Blocked C13 arch to north chance chapel, C14 chancel arch to south chancel chapel.

Fittings: Pulpit, 1657, oak, panelled and framed with guilloche bands. Square stone font on octagonal stone stem. Stained glass: east window by Davell. 1869. Wall painting: west wall c1200 one of the most important English wall paintings of that date. A type of purgatorial ladder in yellow ochre, red and white. 17 foot x 11 foot. Divided in two by cloudy band with the lower half decorated to torments and punishments of the wicked, the upper half devoted to the judgement and salvation of souls. In the centre is a ladder with Christ above. The main figures include the tree of knowledge,). with the serpent (bottom right), the seven deadly sins and a cauldron for boiling murderers. Across the top are depicted the 3 Marys and Elijah and Enoch ascending to heaven, Christ defeating the devil and Christ preaching to the spirits in prison.

Monuments: Panel on north chancel wall. Dated 1562. Stone square tablet with inscribed centre panel flanked by tapering elaborate pilasters with steep. crowning pediment with modillions and sun in the tympaneum. South chancel chapel: to Christian Hane. Died 1752. Aedicular type with white stone rectangular panel flanked by Doric pilasters with red marble. inlay. Grey apron panel below. Swan neck pediment with crowning shell above.

Listing NGR: TQ3087555695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287663
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02372/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Desmond Pye. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].