CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1029826
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 21:42:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Chapel and Hill Chorlton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 81294 37760

Details

CHAPEL AND HILL CHORLTON C.P. CHAPEL CHORLTON SJ 83 NW

10/12 Church of St Lawrence 17/11/66 II

Parish church. Medieval origins, entirely reconstructed in 1826-7 by James Trubshaw Junior. Sandstone ashlar (with especially large blocks below the plinth to nave and chancel), slate roof. Classical style; nave and chancel in one, west tower. Tower: the basic fabric is probably medieval (see the roll-moulded plinth and the tool marks on the masonry), but the windows, along with the buttresses, parapet with cornice and corner obelisks, are all of 1827; round-headed west window with raised keystone and imposts has cast-iron Y-tracery with transoms; above is a narrow rectangular slit (?medieval) and to the belfry stage 4 openings with plain Y-tracery and wooden louvres. Nave and chancel in one. The west wall on the south side (which protrudes slightly from the tower) appears to be medieval, but all the rest is Trubshaw's work; 5 bays, round-headed windows with tracery as in the west window; in the second bay from the west (south side) a plain pedimented doorway; the East window is different - a blocked tripartite opening with lunette above; moulded eaves cornice with obelisks at the corners and a small cross on a globular base to the east gable. Interior: round tower arch (1827) filled by organ. Good C17 pulpit with blank arches and rosettes above; some C17 woodwork is also incorporated in a prayer desk on the north side of the early C19 altar rails; tub-shaped font (C12?) on a late C19 base; all..the other fittings are of this latter or more recent date. Monuments: brass tablets on the north wall to Francis Carlose (died 1722) and Elizabeth Lander (died 1764). B.O.E., p.96.

Listing NGR: SJ8129437760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362546
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 96

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/10355/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brayford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].