Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029906.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:15:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tandridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 38889 43775


TQ 34SE 9/163

LINGFIELD C.P. CHURCH ROAD Church of St. Peter and St. Paul


GV I Church. C14. Tower and some C14 walling to south and west, remainder of church rebuilt in 1431 by Sir Reginald Cobham; vestry added in 1490;restored in 1846/7 and in C20. Random coursed sandstone to Tower and older walling, larger square coursed sandstone blocks to remainder. Original firestone dressings to windows and doors largely replaced with sandstone except around doors to the undercroft. Horsham slab roofs with some plain tile patching, wooden shingled broach spire to Tower. Nave with aisle to north and short aisle to south; chancel to east with north Lady Chapel, Chapel and vestry to the south; Tower to south west. Stone plinth and offset buttresses, diagonal on east and west ends. Half octagonal rood stair turret to north aisle wall at Junction of nave and chancel; mass dials survive on south wall. C15 Perpendicular style windows with stone tracery, large window to the east and west window of north aisle two centred with hood moulding ending in carved human head and grotesque stops; carved head at apex of arch. 3 stage tower with quatrefoil band to top and large angle buttresses. Trefoil head louvred, lancets to each stage, south door to ground floor stage in C19 renewed surround. West doors under pointed arched surround.

Interior:- Four bay nave arcades on piers of quatrefoil section, pointed arches under hood mouldings to above. Similar 3 bay arcade to chancel and chapels, 3rd bay blocked to south. Four centred chancel arch resting on westernmost piers of aisle arcades and forms centre bay of 3 bay arcade running north-south. Flattened barrel vault ceilings on moulded wall plates.

Stained glass:- Some C15 glass fragments in south chancel window. Remainder C19.

Fittings:- Fine set of late Medieval fittings. Font - Octagonal stone bowl on stem, panelled stem with quatrefoil and human head decorations. Crocketed ogee wooden cover. Octagonal panelled wooden pulpit, panelled with arcade decoration. C15 screens between chancel and chapels; Single light ogee head panels with crocket decoration. C15 misericords, 11 seats with 8 misereries surviving - a bishop, the Cobham rms, a rose and two heads. Monuments - North Chancel Chapel:- Table Tomb in north east corner, reputedly dedicated to Sir Thomas Cobham and Lady Anne Cobham. Grey and brown stone with panelled sides containing blank shields and flat lid. North east wall: Marble tablet to Anthony Farringdon. Died 1730. Rectangular tablet with flanking scrolls, crowning urn, and floral carving in apron. Table Tomb on north wall to Harold, Second Lord Cobham, Baron of Starborough. Died 1403. Firestone with purbeck marble top, panelled sides and inlaid brass figure on lid. Wall monument above. To Elizabeth Farringdon. Died 1743. Grey and white stone Aedicular tablet with flanking Doric pilasters, crowning pediment and scrolls all on gadrooned type base. North Chancel Chapel - south wall: Table Tomb to Reginald, first Baron Cobham of Starborough. 1361. Caen stone with firestone effigy. Billeted decoration over painted quatrefoil panels on moulded plinth. Painted and gilt effigy in armour with feet resting on saracen and his head resting on helmet; flanking angels and railed surround. Chancel:- Table Tomb to Sir Reginald Third Lord Cobham of Starborough and his wife Anne Bardolph. Circa 1450. Firestone with alabaster effigies. Quatrefoil panelled sides on moulded plinth with painted shields. Two effigies, Lord Cobham in plate Armour, his feet on a lion, head on a Moors head. Lady Cobham in widow's attire with Wyvern at her feet and angels to her head. South Wall of Chancel - Baroque Cartouche. Dedicated to Francis Howard. Died 1695. Marble with fine swags and garlands; cherubs to apron. Further cartouche to Mary Howard. Died 1718. In similar style. Brasses:- Reputedly the finest set in Surrey. Two half length figures in chancel to John Swetecote. Died 1469 and James Ve1don. Died 1458. Further brasses to unknown girl. Died circa, 1440, John Wyehe. Died 1445 and John Knoyll. Died 1503. Further brasses in North Chapel to - Lady Eleanor Culpepper. Died 1420. Female figure under canopy; Lady of the Cobham Family C15. Brass to Katerina Stoket.Died 1420, and fine brass of John Hadresham, figure in armour, 1417. Now on north wall formerly on floor is incised figure circa 1530 made up of encaustic tiles.

PEVSNER:BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, Surrey (1971) pp. 347-349. MANNING AND BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY (1806) Vol. II. pp. 357-359.

Listing NGR: TQ3888843780


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Manning, O, Bray, W, History of Surrey, (1806), 357-359
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 347-349


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15047/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Elizabeth Andersen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].