CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1029927
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CROWHURST LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029927.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:33:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CROWHURST LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Crowhurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 39061 47456

Details

TQ 34NE CROWHURST C.P. CROWHURST LANE

5/113 Church of St. George 11/6/58 GV II Church. C12. Nave, late C12 south aisle and porch, C15 chancel all "repaired and made plain in 1657" bellturret and spire above rebuilt after fire in 1947. Wealdstone rubble with brick buttresses and dressings, weatherboard bellturret with shingled broach spire above; Horsham slab roofs to south, plain tiled roofs over nave and chancel. Nave with single bay aisle and porch to south, chancel to east, tower and spire to west end. Buttresses to ends,diagonal on east. C13 lancet windows to west part of chancel with traces of further lancets to east. East and west end windows C15 in Perpendicular style, east window of south aisle C14 in decorated style with C12 rear arch and remains of carved leaf capitals springing from side shafts; further 2-light windows to north with renewed lancets. Ribbed double doors to south in chamfered arch surround.

Interior: stone tiled floor, 3 windowed nave, 2 windowed chancel, trussed rafter roofs of C15 date. Braced posts to spire to west end. Paintings:- Painted walls to east end of chancel in Pre-Raphaelite style. Fittings:- C19 lecturn with linenfold patterning. Octagonal C13 font; stone bowl on centre stem with round piers to angles. Stained glass:- fragments of C15 glass in east window. Monuments:- Chancel north side - Tomb chest to John Gaynesford the elder, died 1450. North chancel wall:- wall tomb to Richard Marryott, 1675. Aedicular, grey and white marble with swans neck pediment to top; rosettes in end. Central shield cartouche with inscription and flanking Ionic scroll columns. South chancel wall:- canopied chest tomb. To John Gaynesford the Younger, died 1460. Canopy battlemented with monsters and foliage in spandrels and cusps, brass plate to top of chest. Also unnamed simple tomb chest under four centred arch. South chancel wall. Aedicular style wall monument to Justinian Angell died 1680. Broken segmental pediment with rosettes to central gilt wood cartouche breaking pediment. Cherubs heads over with bollection moulding around panel and flanking scrolls. Wooden hatchment to Margaret Gainsford, died 1691 on north nave wall.

Listing NGR: TQ3906147456

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287352
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13814/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].