Church of St Mary the Virgin


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Walk


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1029972.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 12:07:56.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Walk

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tandridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32764 50849


TQ 35SW 2/15

BLETCHINGLEY C.P. CHURCH WALK Church of St. Mary the Virgin


GV I Church. C11 tower, north chancel arcade and south chancel chapel C13 with C15 alterations; south aisle and porch C15. North aisle 1856 by Rhode-Hawkins. Church restored in 1870 by J.L Pearson and the upper stage of the tower renewed in Perpendicular style by Baker-King in 1910. Ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings to tower, coursed stone to remainder; battlemented parapets partly obscuring slate roof; plain tiled pyramidal roof over tower with iron and wood crowning weathervane. Tower to west, aisled pave with two storey porch to south rood turret between south aisle and south chancel chapel to east with vestry to north.

Unbuttressed three stage tower with two-light window to west face and top stage with Perpendicular style windows and angle gargoyles. C19 aisle windows in elaborate Perpendicular style, lancets to east 1870. C15 three-light segmental head windows to south chancel chapel with quatrefoil opening below associated with Roger the Hermit of Bletchingley. Arched west door with jamb shafts and human head stops to hood moulding. Renewed south door under C15 roll moulded surround in rich battlemented and crocketed Perpendicular porch.

Interior: four bay nave arcades on lobed and convex compound piers of quatrefoil section. C15 timber nave roof with tie beams supported on carved stone brackets in the shape of human and devils heads. Tower arch to west on square responds and corner shafts with upright leaf and volute carving. Chancel with Norman window on east end of north side. Chamfered reveals to other northern chancel windows on short shafts standing on wall seats.

Fittings: reredos to east end of chancel by G.E Street 1870 including portrayal of Bishop Wilberforce amongst apostles. Trefoil head perpendicular style piscina in east wall of south chancel chapel. C15 stone canopy to north aisle in Chapel of the Holy Spirit. Jacobean oak pulpit, 1650. Central stem with panelled sides, fluted pilasters to back board flanking arched niche. C15 stone font, octagonal bowl with quatrefoils, octagonal stem with trefoil-headed niches.

Stained glass: two south aisle windows by Camper and Kempe.

Monuments: South chapel east wall. To Sir Robert and Lady Clayton 1705 by Robert Crutcher, the only known example of his work. Veined grey marble with darker grey ground, over life size standing figures in aedicular surround with crowning segmental arch inside broken and split pediment supporting fluted corinthian columns and panelled pilasters on panelled plinth. Standing figures of Sir Robert and Lady Clayton in contemporary dress with their son in swaddling clothes between. Mourning cherubs on ends and in top of central drapery inscription panel. Iron railings across the front with twisted standards to ends and centre. South chancel chapel, south chapel wall. Monument to Anna, Lady Clayton 1772 by William Tyler. Marble with standing cherub leaning on draped urn.

South chancel arcade, east bay: chest tomb to Sir Thomas Cawarden. Died 1559. (Anne of Cleves steward). Stone with angle pilasters and recessed panels to north and south sides containing strapwork rosettes and bars. Small brass plate on top with Italic inscription. North aisle, east bay: Monument to Sir William Beasley died 1809 by J. Bacon junior. Stone, grey ground with white marble female figure carrying scales; draped urn on pedestal surrounded by references to his service in East India Company i.e. Ships and elephants. North Aisle wall: Monument to Nathaniel Harris. 1625. Black inscription panel flanking pilaster shafts, brown stone with dentilled cornice, gadroon type decoration to apron.

Listing NGR: TQ3276350852


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1912), 261-264
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 1135


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02004/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].