CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1030002

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:37:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Surrey Heath (District Authority)

Parish: Windlesham

National Grid Reference: SU 93049 63731

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 96SW WINDLESHAM C.P. CHURCH ROAD, WINDLESHAM

4/147 Church of St John the Baptist

GV II

Church. Rebuilt using old materials after a fire in 1680 on south side, tower of 1838 by Robert Ebbels, chancel,nave and north aisle of 1874 by Ewan Christian. South wall and porch of C17 brown brick; tower red and blue brick with stone quoins to south side on stone plinth, red and blue brick in diaper pattern and banding courses to nave, chancel and north aisle; plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting. Aisled nave with tower to west and porch on south. Chancel to east with chapel to south and vestry to north. Tower square with diagonal offset buttresses; 3 stages with battlemented parapet. Stone surrounds to louvred arched openings in top stage with clock below in apron panel to west face. Two light trefoil head windows to first stage, one on south face blocked. Two reused stone C15 & C16 windows to south aisle, one 2-light window in Decorated style, one 3-light window in Perpendicular style. Remainder of windows late C19. Ribbed and studded door in moulded wood frame under gauged brick head in south porch. Arched double doors to west.

Interior:- 3 bay nave arcades on round stone piers with lighter coloured stone plinths and moulded capitals; Stone human head stops to billeted hood mouldings of arches. Brick chancel arch with dogtooth decorative band to arch. Double arch opening to south chancel wall with billeted hood moulding. Early C20 marble and alabaster mosaic reredos. C19 fittings. C17 pulpit. Late C19 octagonal stone font with panelled sides on centre stem and angle columns.

Monuments:- Eastawall of south chapel - Monument to Sage and Robert Herrington Died 1733 and 1757. Aedicular. Coloured stone panel in flanking pilasters under swans neck pediment and shell crest; cartouche in apron below. East wall of south chapel:- Oval wall plate to Thomas Tilbury. Died 1716. Grey stone ground, lighter inscription panel on ribbon festoon.

PEVSNER:- Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 527-8

Listing NGR: SU9304963731

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287217

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 527-528

End of official listing