CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, STOKE ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030111.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:48:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, STOKE ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Elmbridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 12919 58444
TQ 15NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE STOKE ROAD
8/403 Church of St. Mary 14.8.53. I
Church of outstanding importance. Late C7 south wall and apse, C12 nave with C13 chancel. Norbury Chapel to north c1490. Restored in 1866 by Ford and Hesketh. Flint and stone with roman tiles to south wall, flint with stone dressings to remainder. Plain tiled roofs with copper weathervane on tower. Nave with north aisle, south porch and tower to north west. Chancel to east with Norbury Chapel to north. 2 stage tower with recessed panels to first stage, corbel band to base of spire and clock face to north side under open wooden bellchamber. Trefoil arched windows to north side of church and stone dressed lancet windows to south. Interior: 3 bay nave arcade to north with pointed arches, slightly chamfered, on simple square and scalloped capitals and round piers. Restored Victorian chancel arch to 2 bay chancel, with quadripartite rib vaulting of c 1250. Original window splays on south side adjusted to size of vaulting bays with dog-tooth band between rolls of transverse arch. Norbury Chapel to north contains fragments of old apse, late Perpendicular windows and a fireplace on the north wall, a rare feature in a pre- reformation chapel. Blocked Thegns door to former gallery on south wall of nave, the earliest English example . Fittings: C13 arched Piscina in south chancel wall. Jacobean pulpit given by Sir Francis Vincent in 1620: Heptagonal body with souding board suspended from elaborate worught iron ties, standing on central column with seven wooden volutes leading to seven monster finials. Lectern: English eagle on Baroque barley-sugar stem. Simple C17 communion rails-c1630. C13 oak chest. Mid C15 Altar painting- Flemish Annunciation. North Italian limestone statue of Madonna c 1500. Stained glass: East window- Series from Costessey Hall , Norfolk, in central light, outer panels from Cassiobury. Amongst the nave windows are French roundels of c1510. C15 English King and further C15 and C16 glass in chancel and Norbury Chapel. Paintings: East wall of chancel. C13 fragments of Adoration of the Lamb. Monuments: over south door: Mary Jane Phillips. Died 1843. Black and white marble obelisk with draped female figure by E Galfin. Norbury Chapel: Built to commemorate the victory at the Battle of Bosworth and contains many fine monuments , including : North Wall- To Sir Francis Vincent. Died 1735, monument 1762. White and polychrome marble. Aedicular with broken pediment and oval urns to centre of pediment, coat of arms on curved apron below. South Wall arcade: Thomas Lyfield. Died 1592. Flesh coloured alabaster , black and gilt decoration with brass plate. Rectangular panel with cill and hood mouldings (engraved) and strapwork surround to crowning coat of arms. Also brass to Ellen Bray. Dated 1516 with figure in swaddling clothes. Arch between chancel and chapel: Brass to Anne Norbury. Died 1464. Standing figure 15 inches high with eight children at her feet. East wall of chapel: Sir John Norbury . Died 1521. Marble and gilt wall plate with broken pediment containing strapwork coat of arms. Central niche with flanking pilasters containing keneeling figure of the knight. Tombs to Lady Sarah Vincent and Sir Thomas Vincent. Died 1608 and 1613. Fine lifesize painted effigies lying on their sides under crested canopies with panelled responds. Profile relief figures in plinth with strapwork decoration. The tomb of Sir Thomas contains the effigy of his wife Jane lying below, died 1619. Chancel: Brass to Sir John D'Abernon, died 1277. The oldest English brass.,6 feet 6inche long. Knight in armour, full face, carrying a lance and shield, the shield enamelled blue on copper. Sir John D'Abernon (his son) Died 1327. Figure of Knight 5 foot long under ogee canopy with lion to his feet. The Church of St. Mary is one of the very few seignorial churches to have survived from Saxon origins and still display the succeeding developments. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp465-9. THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL VOL. CXVIII. The church of St. Mary. Stoke D',ibernon. By C.A. Raleigh Radford. 1963.
Listing NGR: TQ1291958444
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)
'The Archaeological Journal' in The Archaeological Journal, (1963)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing