THE MOAT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1030282

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1990

Statutory Address: THE MOAT HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MOAT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030282 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:07:55.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MOAT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Monewden

National Grid Reference: TM 23983 58418

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

MONEWDEN THE MOAT HOUSE TM 25 NW 4/158 II

House, formerly the rectory. Circa late C16 or C17, remodelled and extended in circa 1847. Gault brick in Flemish bond, plastered timber frame at rear. Gable-ended roof, slated over front range, and more steeply pitched tile roof over back range. Brick axial stacks.

Double depth plan. The original house, the long back range with an axial stack was relegated to service rooms when in circa 1847 the front range was added; the addition comprises a central stair hall with a principal room either side. Later outshuts at rear.

2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window east front. Three 16-pane sashes on first floor, 20-pane French casements on ground floor and central doorway, all with moulded cast-iron lintels on console brackets, the doorway with rectangular overlight with glazing bars and panelled and glazed door. Similar cast-iron lintels over sashes in end walls. Back range is 2 storeys and attic with central gabled dormer and 2 single storey outshuts.

Interior: Most of the mid Cl9 interior features survive including joinery and marble chimneypieces, those on first floor complete with cast-iron grates. Good open-well staircase with stick balusters and moulded mahogany handrail up to column newels. The ceiling of the entrance hall by the staircase is supported on a cast-iron column. In the back range the central room has exposed chamfered cross-beam supported on a large jowled post and on the first floor some wall-posts, wall-plates and tie-beams are exposed.

Note: A drawing for the remodelling of the house (in the possession of the owner) is signed David Smith-(Hunt?) and dated 1847.

Listing NGR: TM2398358418

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286573

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing