CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030322 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:25:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 22729 60530
TM 26 SW
CRETINGHAM THE STREET (West side) Church of St Peter
GV II* Church. c.1300 and C15. Rubble front and knapped flint with ashlar dressings and colourwashed render with a slate and plain tile roof. Nave, chancel, western tower, south western porch. Tower: west face: diagonal buttresses at either side with panels of flushwork to the lower body, now mostly replaced with brick. Central blocked doorway with moulded ashlar surround and hood mould and brick voussoirs. Above this is a 2-light window with trefoil heads. Lancet above this with round arched head, cusped at the level of the springing. Band below the belfry opening which is Perpendicular and has 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil to the apex. String course below the battlemented parapet which has flushwork tracery panels. South face: staircase turret in the angle with the right hand angle buttress. Blocked window, filled with brick to the lower body and single-light round-arched lancet and similar belfry opening. North face: similar save for lack of staircase turret. East face: abutts the nave to its lower body and has similar belfry opening. Nave: south face: porch at left of centre with a steep gable above a shallower gable, now raised, the upper gable now rendered and colourwashed. The lower body has arched niches at either side of a central doorway and above it, all cusped. The central door surround is double-chamfered. At left of this is a 2- light window with wooden glazing bars but with the original Perpendicular surround and hood mould. Two Perpendicular windows at right of the porch each of 3 lights with panel tracery, that at right a C20 replacement following the original form. To far right a lean-to projection for the rood screen staircase. North face: partially of colourwashed brick with a shoring buttress at right of centre. Perpendicular window surround at far left with wooden glazing bars. To right of centre is a blocked doorway with double-chamfered ashlar surround. To far right is a 2-light Perpendicular window. Chancel: north face, a shoring buttress of brick to left and at right of this an early Decorated window with 2 lancet lights with a quatrefoil to the apex. South face: lancet window at right with hood mould and label stops. Two-light window at left with Y-tracery and chamfered ashlar surround and between these a priest's door with hollow- chamfered surround and hood mould. Interior: Nave; hammerbeam roof of 6 bays and probably of early-C16 date. Wall posts terminating in decorative pendant bosses of which 5 remain, the remainder cut. Richly moulded wall posts with arched braces with decorated spandrels connecting to the hammer beams. Further arched braces running along the length of the wall forming 4-centered arches. The hammerbeams. have rounded ends and brattished tops. Above these are panels of tracery between principals and the hammer-posts. Further long arched braces connect to the brattished collars. Two sets of purlins, both richly decorated, and short king posts rise from the cambered collars to the decorated ridge beam. Arched braces forming 4-centered arches also run between the king posts. Richly decorated cornice with cavetto, roll, and brattished mouldings with panels of blind tracery with shields. Font: octagonal stem and bowl. Seated lions to the base and buttresses. Angels' heads with interlacing wings to the underside of the bowl. The side panels of the bowl have alternating rose bosses and shields and considerable amounts of the original colouring of red, turquoise and black. C19, high, box pews to the nave with panelled sides and backs. Raised octagonal Jacobean pulpit on an C18 base with arched and strapwork panels with a back panel and octagonal tester with acorn drops to the corners and central acorn finial. Tower arch with semi-octagonal piers and moulded bases and capitals and a chamfered inner arch and wave-moulded outer arch with bar-broached stop. Nine pews with medieval bench ends to the body of the nave showing tracery panels and poppyhead finials. Wall monument of 1596 to Lionel Louth; classical with arched surround enclosing kneeling figure with rapier and helmet. To either side are panels with strapwork arrangement and below to the apron a central shield with tablets at either side which read: LEONULUS OBIT AD MARGARITA POSUIT MDXCVI. Coats of arms to the spandrels at either side and central coat of arms to top with strapwork cartouches at either side. Further monument ot Anne Cornwalleys of alabaster and black marble of 1615. Central rectangular tablet with scroll brackets at either side with egg and dart cornice pieces above. Scrolled pediment coats of arms to centre of this pediment, at either side of it and to the apron. Further monument of 1603 to Richard Cornwaleis, ashlar, black marble and mottled marble. Central panel with strapwork surround and pilaster strips. Pomegranites and grapes to the frieze and coats of arms. Altar rails of later C17 with square newels and shaped balusters.
SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975 H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982
Listing NGR: TM2272960530
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing