THE GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030333

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: THE GUILDHALL, 34, MARKET HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 23:22:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GUILDHALL, 34, MARKET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Framlingham

National Grid Reference: TM2848363460

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM MARKET HILL

4/110 No. 34 (The Mansion House)

25.10.51

GV II*

The address shall be amended to read: MARKET HILL

No. 34 (The Guildhall)

------------------------------------

TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM MARKET HILL

4/110 No.34 (The Mansion House) 25.10.51

GV II*

House, now offices and shop premises. Late C16 core; built on the site of the hall of the Guild of St. Mary by Simon Pulham, who acquired the site with the old building on it in 1564. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed; faced in red mathematical tiles; plaintiled roof. 9 bays: 3:3:3, with the centre breaking forward slightly. Parapet, with sections of turned balusters in front of the dormer windows and the central break, and a plastered band below. 3 dormers with small-paned sash windows and moulded pediments, the 2 outer triangular, the central segmental. 7 large-paned sash windows in flush frames to the first floor with gauged brick heads and keystones. To each side of the central break a blank window with ornate surround: enriched eared architrave and open triangular pediment. On the ground floor, the sash windows have been replaced along the western 2/3rd of the front by 2 mid-C19 shop entrances and 3 large canted shop windows which project from the face of the building. The eastern 1/3rd of the front (separately occupied by Messrs Turner & Ellerby), has an entrance door up steps, and brickwork refacing to the ground floor. This is the only accessible part of the building, the remainder being unoccupied. It contains a small room on the ground floor, with raised fielded panelling. A dog-leg stair has a plain handrail and metal twist balusters. On the first floor, a fine panelled room in the rear wing with double bolection-moulded panels and window-shutters. In the bottom of the shutters are 2 secret drawers. The roof over the rear range has side purlins; the remainder plastered. In the panelled ground-floor room and the room above it are semi-domed and semi-circular recessed cupboards set into the walls, one made to revolve, and both with painted decoration and figures.

Listing NGR: TM2848363460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 286388

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing