CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030504

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 00:37:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Culpho

National Grid Reference: TM 21015 49124

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 24 NW 4/1

CULPHO Church of St. Botolph

16. 3. 66

II* Church, medieval, restored 1884. Nave, chancel, south-west tower/porch. Flint rubble (the nave partly plastered), limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables; the tower has a pyramid plaintiled roof with open eaves. Chancel of mid C13: south doorway hoodmoulded with corbel faces, and single-light north and south windows. Early C14 alterations: 3-light windows with intersecting tracery in north and south walls, Y-tracery 2-light windows in nave side walls. C14 nave doorway, roll-and-fillet moulded with square label, original oak door with moulded ribs; inside is a stoup. A C14 trefoiled piscina, with adjacent dropped-cill sedilia cut into earlier south chancel window. Another piscina for south nave side-altar. Plain C14 south doorway, blocked by C17/C18 brickwork. Tower, with porch formed within ground floor, added C15; simple doorway. The upper stage was removed, perhaps c.1700. Nave roof rebuilt C17, with moulded wall-pieces, otherwise plain (an archdeacon's report of 1602 describes both nave and chancel as "exceeding ruinous"). Chancel arch of moulded stucco with flanking red brick walling; Gothick in form perhaps of late C17 or early C18. Scissor-braced chancel roof of 1884 with sections of moulded cornice perhaps of C14, reused. Octagonal C15 limestone font, traceried, with restored C17 oak cover. 3 painted panels on nave walls, late C18, with Credence, Lord's prayer and Ten Commandments.

Listing NGR: TM2101549124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 285963

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing