CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1030508
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:34:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Playford
National Grid Reference:
TM 21765 48088

Details

TM 24 NW 4/8

PLAYFORD Church of St. Mary

16.3.66

II* Church. Mainly c.1400; the chancel was rebuilt 1874. Nave, chancel, south west tower/porch, north organ chamber. Flint rubble, with some random limestone rubble, and in the tower some brick of various colours. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. Apart from the earlier C14 plain blocked north doorway, all medieval features are of late C14 and early C15. Fine late C14 tower, placed against the south nave doorway, serving also as the south porch. The moulded outer doorway has repeated crown motifs at the jambs, an angel keystone and a square label supported by lions; in the spandrels are the arms of Sir George Felbrigge (died 1400). Above the doorway is an image niche with pinnacled canopy. The 2-light ringing chamber window has a gabled and traceried head. On the south face is a pair of belfry openings, one on either side of a floreated cross outlined in flushwork. The diagonal buttresses are also flushwork-panelled. Large 3-light C15 south nave window, and similar smaller windows in north and west walls. The inner south doorway and chancel arch are both moulded and of c.1400. The chancel was rebuilt and the organ chamber, added in 1874 for the Marquis of Bristol, in the Early English style. In 1887 the nave was given a scissor-braced coupled-rafter roof to match that in the chancel. Octagonal limestone font in the C14 manner; part of the stem is original and well moulded, but the rest was renewed C19. Now affixed to the north chancel wall is a fine brass of Sir George Felbrigge (died 1400) in full armour. Above it is a wall tablet to Sir Anthony Felton (d.1657) and his wife. In the chancel floor are 4 marble ledger slabs of C18 and early C19, to members of the Felton family.

Listing NGR: TM2176548088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285970
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02315/34
Rights: Copyright IoE R H MacMillan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].