MOAT HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030527

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: MOAT HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOAT HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030527 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:43:10.

Location

Statutory Address: MOAT HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Parham

National Grid Reference: TM 31210 59950

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 35 NW PARHAM

11/141 Moat Hall (previously 25.10.51 listed as Parham Moat Hall) GV II*

Former manor house, now a farmhouse. Early C16, probably for Sir Christopher Willoughby, father of the first Baron Willoughby; south wing probably late C16/early C17. The main range occupies the north west corner of the moated site, rising directly from the moat on 2 sides. Mainly red brick, some timber framing, plaintiled roof. 2 storeys. North facade with 2 full height canted bays and an external stack to the right hand side: this facade was probably symmetrical, the remaining bay and stack to the east now demolished. Brickwork with diapering in dark headers to bays and stack; each bay has 2-light and 3-light brick mullion windows, one tier to the ground floor, 2 tiers to the first floor divided by a transom; the lights had arched and cusped heads,and all have now been blocked or replaced by later casements; the bays have later plastered gables. Stack with the lower portion of 2 octagonal flues with a trefoil-headed blank arch to each face; upper part of stack rebuilt. To the west are 2 gables, the larger one with exposed timbering with brick nogging and an overhanging first floor; the original windows have gone but their moulded heads remain. The smaller gable has an original brick mullion window to ground floor, the original first floor opening blocked. To the south is a canted and gabled staircase turret, one original brick mullion window at first floor level and an external stack with 3 coupled flues with star caps. South Wing timber framed and plastered, plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. Various casement windows, square and modern diamond leaded glass, one flat-roofed dormer, boarded half door, internal stack. The interior of the main range is considerably altered; much re-used C16-C17 panelling on first floor. Country Life 15.5.1909, pp.702-7. Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977, pp.281-3.

Listing NGR: TM3121059950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 285913

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977), 281-3
'Country Life' in 15 May, (1909), 702-7

End of official listing