Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:32:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Wenhaston with Mells Hamlet
National Grid Reference:
TM 42493 75475



2/110 CHURCH OF ST PETER 7.12.66 (Previously listed under Wenhaston) GV I

Parish Church. Medieval, restored 1892. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch. Coursed flint rubble, the aisle and chancel plastered, stone dressings; slated roofs to nave, aisle and porch, plaintiles to chancel. Tower probably late C14: 4 stages and parapet, diagonal buttresses, some flushwork to buttresses and parapet; 2-light west window, 2-light bell chamber openings, mostly with wooden tracery. Nave south wall with 2 C12 slit windows and 2 2-light C15 windows; at a higher level are 2 later rectangular windows to light the rood and the west gallery. Simple C15 south porch: knapped flint parapet with stone coping, niche above entrance, stoup to right hand side. Good C15 south doorway with carved shields to spandrels, fleurons and blank shields to arch head and jambs; probably original door. Chancel with one C13 lancet window to north and south, other windows late C14 or C15; Priest's doorway to south. North aisle added early-mid C16: 3-light windows, 4 late C19 brick buttresses to north wall, late C19 roof (over the old) continuous with the nave. Good late C15 6-bay arch-braced nave roof, with east-west bracing between both wall posts and ridge posts; 3-bay aisle arcade, octagonal piers; original aisle roof; wooden chancel arch and roof of 1892: the arch rests on corbels and is richly carved with drop tracery. C15 octagonal font, the panels defaced but with traces of original colour; C17 pulpit; 2 simple C15 benches with poppyhead ends in nave; banner stave locker (modern door) in south nave wall; arms of George III on west nave wall. On the north aisle wall is mounted a large oil painting on boards, c.1500; it depicts the Last Judgement and formed the tympanum to the chancel arch; the rood and supporting figures originally attached to the painting have disappeared, and below is a later inscription; a painting of this type on boards is a rarity. East sanctuary wall with 2 good monuments to Philippa Leman (d. 1757) and Eliza Rooe (nee Leman) (d.1747). Graded I for medieval work and Last Judgement painting.

Listing NGR: TM4249375475


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09045/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Skilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].