CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030699

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:13:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Sutton

National Grid Reference: TM 30638 46442

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON (Off) MAIN ROAD TM 34 NW 6/139 Church of All Saints 16/3/66 GV II*

Church. C13-15, damaged by fire in 1616. Former north-eastern tower fell in 1642. Restored 1854-60 by Morgan and Phippson and further restored in 1868 by Edward Low. Porch added 1877. Rubble flint, rendered flint rubble and knapped flint with ashlar dressings and a roof of plain tiles. Nave, chancel, south western porch. Nave: south face: walls refaced c.1854-60. Gabled porch to left of centre with knapped flint walling. Diagonal buttresses to the corners with offsets and gablets. Central archway with keeled colonettes and hoodmould. To the gable which has an ashlar coping, is a band with square flower ornament. Blank triple niche above this. To right is a 2-light Curvilinear window with ogee-headed lights and dagger to the apex, partially reworked in the C19 but retaining material from an earlier window. At right of this are two C19 windows which copy its pattern. Buttress with 2 offsets to far right. North face: rendered. Four buttresses, each with 2 offsets with some C18 or early C19 rebuilding in brick. Two-light Y-tracery window of c.1310 to left of centre with double-chamfered surround. Doorway to right of centre now mostly obscured by later boiler house. Only the hoodmould still showing through the render. Quatrefoil light to rood stair at far left. West face: central window of 3 lights with interlacing tracery, the wall having randomly set blocks of freestone. Chancel: South face: priest's doorway slightly to left of centre. Early-Perpendicular window to left of this and to right of this a Y-tracery 2-light window, both being of C19 date but possibly copying the forms of earlier models. North face: rendered through which shows considerable quantities of rebuilding in brick of C17 or C18 date. Y-tracery window to right with hollow chamfered surround. East face: diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets and dying back into the corners. Central C19 three-light curvilinear window with ogee heads and mouchettes and daggers to apex forming a 5-petalled flower.

Interior: Nave: panelled plaster ceiling with moulded pine ribs and square floral bosses at the intersections. It appears to incorporate material from the earlier church, including arched braces. Rood loft staircase with two openings, the lower one having a 4-centered arch with ashlar surround. Font, early-C15, ashlar, octagonal, raised on one step. Octagonal shaft around which are 8 mutilated figures in clerical habits which Cautley associates with the serving of mass. The corbel course has heads of a cardinal, bishop, monk and neophyte and 4 orders of nuns (Cautley) set between which are a chalice, patten, censer, ship, holy-water vat and sprinkler. The slightly battered bowl has buttresses to the angles and sunken panels containing representations of the four evangelists and four other figures which Cautley conjecturally ascribes to the Virgin, Christ, God and an angel. The whole is carved with verve and skill "quite an exceptional piece" (Pevsner) Chancel: ceiling of 4 bays ashlar posts, common rafters, collars and arched braces, much of the timber appearing to be re-used. C19 stalls with front panels of C16 linenfold panelling. SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Building of England :Suffolk, 1975 H. Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982



Listing NGR: TM3063846442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 285505

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

End of official listing