Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030710.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2021 at 19:36:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 45076 75315


TM 47 NE, 2/16


Holy Trinity Church

(Formerly listed as Church of the Holy Trinity)




Parish Church. Nave and chancel (under one roof), north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Tower early-mid C14, remainder mid-late C15. Random flint with stone dressings; some brickwork to window arches; lead roofs.

Tower: Four stages, with 3-stage diagonal buttresses, string courses at each stage level; crenellated parapet with some flushwork; single-light bell chamber openings without tracery; at base of third stage (except east face) is a cinquefoil-headed lancet window; C15 3-light west window, the tracery renewed. Clerestorey with eighteen identical 2-light windows to north and south. Chancel extends one bay east of the aisles, these windows being bricked up; east end of chancel with 5-light window, renewed tracery; below is a flushwork frieze of twelve Lombardic letters, with further flushwork to either side of window; at apex of gable is a mutilated carved Trinity. North aisle of eight bays, south aisle of seven bays with the porch at the west end; the eastern two bays of the aisles have windows to a slightly different design; both aisles have flushwork decoration to the buttresses. South aisle and porch with fine parapet of pierced quatrefoils with ogee cappings, below which is a frieze of lozenge flushwork and a carved string course; the buttresses have pinnacles with grotesque finials. Each aisle has Priest's doorway under a flying buttress, the one to the south with a mutilated stoup. Porch with Priest's room above; knapped flint facade with empty niche over doorway; good external stoup with carved shaft and bowl; tierceron vaulted roof renewed in 1930's. Both north and south doorways have C15 traceried doors.

INTERIOR with 8-bay aisle arcades; flooring of red brick and unglazed tile. Fine 10-bay arch-braced roof with firred tie beams; the cornice is missing; at the centre of each tie beam is a carved boss and angels with outstretched wings facing east and west (eleven angels remain, some of the wings renewed); much original painted decoration remains. Lean-to aisle roofs with traceried spandrels. Octagonal font, c.1450, formerly carved with the Seven Sacraments. Good set of eighteen C15 nave benches with carved finials; C15 lectern; pulpit c.1670; fine alms box dated 1473 with traceried carving; mid- late C17 Clock Jack at east end of south aisle; C15 wooden aisle screens, the nave screen a modern reconstruction to the same pattern. The choir stalls have finely carved frontals with sixteen figures of Apostles and Saints, possibly once forming the rood loft parapet. Good monument to Sir John Hopton (d.1489): Purbeck marble tomb chest (brasses missing) with 3 cusped quatrefoils with painted shields, richly traceried and crested canopy. Another plain tomb chest in north aisle; several C17 carved marble floor slabs in chancel; fragments of medieval stained glass in aisle windows. Graded I for surviving medieval work.

Listing NGR: TM4507675315


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09045/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Skilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].