This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1030734

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Bealings

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 285490

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE BEALINGS THE STREET TM 24 NW 4/124 Church of All Saints 16/3/66 G.V. II Church. C14, C16 and 1851. Rubble flint with ashlar and brick dressings and English bond brick with plain tiled roof. South western porch-tower, nave, chancel and northern aisle. Tower: slightly projecting plinth, which dies back via a chamfered ashlar offset, and ashlar quoins to the corners. South face: porch doorway at ground floor level with wave-moulded ashlar surround. Brick voussoirs above. Lancet window to first floor level with chamfered ashlar sides and C20 cement head, above which are tiles or Roman bricks. The belfry window above this also has chamfered ashlar sides and a concrete chamfered arch. Similar belfry openings to the northern and east faces but that on the west face has some remnants of Decorated tracery to the arch. Nave: south face: at left is the tower porch and at right of this is a section of rubble flint walling to right of which and slightly projecting is a portion of red C16 English bond brickwork which dies back via an offset. Two-light window above with four-centered heads and chamfered surround. Hoodmould of shaped bricks. West face: rendered diagonal buttresses which die into the angles via offsets. Central 3-light window with C19 interlacing tracery, which may copy the original form, and chamfered surround. The north aisle of 1851 has rubble flint walling with yellow brick plinth, quoins and eaves band. The northern face has two lancets with yellow brick surrounds and the east and west windows are each of 3-lights with intersecting tracery. Chancel: south wall has a 2-light window with Y-tracery at left with double-chamfered surround and hood mould and at right a 2-light window with cusped lights and a trefoil to the apex, double-chamfered surround and hood mould. Between these a priest's door with chamfered surround, broach stopped above the sill and with hood mould. Eastern wall: rendered with diagonal buttresses which die back into the angles via two offsets. Central 3-light window with interlacing tracery, double-chamfered surround and hood mould.

Interior: the doorway to the church within the porch has a chamfered surround with hood mould. The roof is boarded in by a wagon roof ceiling. The northern and southern chancel walls have a projecting wooden cornice, that to the north with two rows of brattishing, that at south with only one and there is a simpler cornice to the southern wall of the nave. C19 pinewood cornice to the northern nave wall imitating that in the chancel. Arcade of 3 arches to the southern aisle with painted octagonal brick piers, moulded capitals and chamfered arches. The pulpit was largely rebuilt c.1925 but incorporates several Jacobean panels. Font of C15, octagonal, plinth with 4 lions, heavily mutilated and buttresses. Square flowers below the bowl and interlaced cherubs wings, their heads now hacked off with one exception. Sunken panels to the sides of the bowl, 6 of which are now .bare, the other containing a lion with scroll and an angel bearing a shield, both well carved.

SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1975 H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982

Listing NGR: TM2291347991

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

National Grid Reference: TM 22913 47991

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 10:58:30.

End of official listing