Details
LITTLE BEALINGS THE STREET
TM 24 NW
4/124 Church of All Saints
16/3/66
G.V. II
Church. C14, C16 and 1851. Rubble flint with ashlar and brick dressings
and English bond brick with plain tiled roof. South western porch-tower,
nave, chancel and northern aisle. Tower: slightly projecting plinth, which
dies back via a chamfered ashlar offset, and ashlar quoins to the corners.
South face: porch doorway at ground floor level with wave-moulded ashlar
surround. Brick voussoirs above. Lancet window to first floor level with
chamfered ashlar sides and C20 cement head, above which are tiles or Roman
bricks. The belfry window above this also has chamfered ashlar sides and a
concrete chamfered arch. Similar belfry openings to the northern and east
faces but that on the west face has some remnants of Decorated tracery to
the arch. Nave: south face: at left is the tower porch and at right of
this is a section of rubble flint walling to right of which and slightly
projecting is a portion of red C16 English bond brickwork which dies back
via an offset. Two-light window above with four-centered heads and
chamfered surround. Hoodmould of shaped bricks. West face: rendered
diagonal buttresses which die into the angles via offsets. Central 3-light
window with C19 interlacing tracery, which may copy the original form, and
chamfered surround. The north aisle of 1851 has rubble flint walling with
yellow brick plinth, quoins and eaves band. The northern face has two
lancets with yellow brick surrounds and the east and west windows are each
of 3-lights with intersecting tracery. Chancel: south wall has a 2-light
window with Y-tracery at left with double-chamfered surround and hood mould
and at right a 2-light window with cusped lights and a trefoil to the apex,
double-chamfered surround and hood mould. Between these a priest's door
with chamfered surround, broach stopped above the sill and with hood mould.
Eastern wall: rendered with diagonal buttresses which die back into the
angles via two offsets. Central 3-light window with interlacing tracery,
double-chamfered surround and hood mould. Interior: the doorway to the church within the porch has a chamfered
surround with hood mould. The roof is boarded in by a wagon roof ceiling.
The northern and southern chancel walls have a projecting wooden cornice,
that to the north with two rows of brattishing, that at south with only one
and there is a simpler cornice to the southern wall of the nave. C19
pinewood cornice to the northern nave wall imitating that in the chancel.
Arcade of 3 arches to the southern aisle with painted octagonal brick
piers, moulded capitals and chamfered arches. The pulpit was largely
rebuilt c.1925 but incorporates several Jacobean panels. Font of C15,
octagonal, plinth with 4 lions, heavily mutilated and buttresses. Square
flowers below the bowl and interlaced cherubs wings, their heads now hacked
off with one exception. Sunken panels to the sides of the bowl, 6 of which
are now .bare, the other containing a lion with scroll and an angel bearing
a shield, both well carved. SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1975
H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982
Listing NGR: TM2291347991
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number:
285490
Legacy System:
LBS
Sources
Books and journals Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937) Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry