CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1030735

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1030735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:19:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Ramsholt

National Grid Reference: TM 30695 42092

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAMSHOLT CHURCH ROAD TM 34 SW (South side) 10/126 Church of All Saints 16/3/66 II* Church. Anglo-Saxon or Romanesque tower with nave and chancel of c.1300 and porch of c.1850. Flint rubble, rendered with brick and ashlar dressings and a plain tiled roof, originally thatched. Circular western tower, nave and chancel. Tower: west face: central buttresses rising the full height of the tower and having 4 offsets. Lancet light at right of this to ground floor stages with ashlar surround of c.1300. Brick voussoirs above. To the belfry stage are lancet openings at right and left with similar surrounds. Third similar belfry opening facing east. To the sides of the tower and adjacent the nave wall are similar buttresses to that at the centre of the western front and these, so placed, give the tower a slightly oval appearance. Ashlar coping to top of the tower. Patching of the tower fabric has incorporated brick and a coat of render has been roughly applied to parts this century. Nave: south face: rendered walling. Porch to left of centre of flint rubble with red brick quoins to the outer corners and to either side of the central arched doorway and brick kneelers and coping to the gable as well as 3 pointed blank niches also of brick at either side of the arch and to the gable. Rendered side walls and pantile roof. To right of the porch is a Perpendicular triple lancet window with 4-centered heads to the lights. The ashlar surround partially rendered. To right of this a Perpendicular window of 2 lights with a hollow chamfered ashlar surround, cinquefoil heads to the lights, quatrefoil and daggers to the apex. Some of which tracery has been replaced. North face: doorway to right of c.1300 with chamfered ashlar surround with hood mould. To left of this are two windows set high in the wall of paired lancets with 4-centered heads and rendered and chamfered brick surrounds. Chancel: south wall: two Y-tracery windows with chamfered surrounds and hoodmoulds between which is a priest's door of similar date also having chamfered surround and hood mould. North face: single window at right with a rendered brick surround of 3 Perpendicular lights with panel tracery above and hood mould. East wall: diagonal buttresses to the angles dying into the corners via 2 offsets. C19 ashlar kneelers and coping to the gable. Central 3-light window with interlacing tracery and chamfered surround, some of which has been replaced.

Interior: Porch: doorway of c.1310 with chamfered surround and hood mould. Nave and chancel: doorway to the tower now rendered and limewashed with projecting springers and ashlar voussoirs to the round arch. Roof of C19 date of 3 bays with wall posts resting on stone corbels and arched braces connecting to the collars which support king posts. C19 chancel arch with rectangular piers to either side with chamfered corners. Chancel roof partially panelled and probably of C19 build but incorporating older timbers. The wall posts having rounded ends. Piscina to the eastern end of the southern wall with ogee arch and hollow-chamfered surround. Lowered window sill forming sedilia. Flooring of yellow bricks to nave and chancel. Set of high C18 or early-C19 box pews of wood-grained deal with panelled doors and a double-decker pulpit to the nave side of the chancel arch at south. The pulpit has a deep, stepped cornice. The pews retain the arrangement whereby those within the chancel face west towards this pulpit in defiance of the later C19 reinstatement of the chancel liturgy. Two simple candlestands with square poles and lipped circular tops. Ramped and arched draught screens to the western end. Octagonal font with an octagonal step and circular shaft. which are undecorated and may be earlier than the comparatively small C15 or early C16 octagonal bowl which has slightly sunken square panels to each side with quatrefoil tracery and square shields. The northern and southern nave doors are directly opposite each other and each has a splayed reveal with cambered and chamfered relieving arch. SOURCES: Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Suffolk, 1975 H. Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982

Listing NGR: TM3069542092

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 285492

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

End of official listing