CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1031174
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HOPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031174.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:21:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HOPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Coney Weston
National Grid Reference:
TL 97159 78395

Details

TL 97 NE CONEY WESTON HOPTON ROAD

1/21 Church of St. Mary 14.7.55

- I

Parish church. C14 throughout, but not all of one date. Nave, chancel and south porch (the tower fell in 1690). Rubble flint with freestone dressings; thatched roof to nave with decorated ridge, plaintiles to chancel and porch. The nave and porch have a moulded stone base with a course of stone blocks alternating with squares of black knapped flint. Buttresses faced with freestone and black knapped flint. At the west end of the nave the former tower arch has been infilled with courses of limestone blocks interspersed with flint rubble; a blocked square 2-light window with stone mullion on the upper face of the gable. Two 2-light windows to the south side of nave, with trefoil heads and quatrefoils in the tracery; to the west of the porch, a 2- light square-headed window with hood-mould, and 2 similar windows on the north side. 3 early C14 2-light windows to south side of chancel, with a recessed arched niche in the wall below. On the north side of the chancel the blocked remains of arches indicate a former chantry or chapel. 4-light east window with reticulated tracery and a depressed arch; a small circular opening high in the gable. Porch with embattled parapet faced with alternating square panels of black knapped flint and freestone. Doorway with a sharply-arched head which fits badly on the capitals. South doorway to nave with continuous mouldings and a cinquefoil-headed blocked niche beside it. There is a bell- cote for a single bell above the roof of the porch. Inside the building, most fittings date from an extensive restoration of 1869. The fine Decorated octagonal font has various traceried motifs reminiscent of the font at Honington. In the north-west corner of the nave a section of small inlaid medieval floor tiles: illustrated in the Suffolk Historic Churches Trust booklet 'Medieval Floor Tiles in Suffolk Churches', by David Sherlock. Plastered barrel-vaulted roof, said to have its original timbers. Chancel arch flanked by 2 cusped niches, originally for side altars; a piscina with cusped head in the south-east corner, and a shallow blank niche in the jamb of the south-east window. In the north-east corner, a marble tablet in Classical style to Maurice Dreyer and his wife, 1786. In the chancel, an open-sided angle piscina and sedilia. Across the south-east corner, fragments of a canopy and base for a statue. The windows contain a quanity of old crown glass, diamond-leaded.

Listing NGR: TL9715978395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284374
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sherlock, D, Medieval Floor Tiles in Suffolk Churches

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13953/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].