CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1031214
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:55:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Hepworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 98748 74854

Details

TL 97 SE HEPWORTH CHURCH LANE

3/4 Church of St. Peter 14.7.55

II*

Parish church. C13 and later: seriously damaged by fire in 1898, and extensively rebuilt by J.S. Corder of Ipswich. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower, all in rubble flint, partly covered with old render. Plaintiled roofs. 2-light windows in Perpendicular style to nave; C14 windows in Decorated style to chancel; in the south wall, a traceried low-side window, and a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. South porch, largely reconstructed, contains fragments of an earlier Norman church, and the open roof has some reused C16 moulded timbers. An empty niche with trefoil head above the south door. Plain tower with large diagonal buttresses, partly faced with panels of large black knapped flints. Plain parapet, with conical roof rising above it. Plain west doorway with hood mould over. A small quatrefoil window to each face of the middle stage, and a window with semi- circular arched head to each face of the top stage. Across the upper part of the west face is the date 1677 in large cast iron figures: this may well be the date of the top stage windows. The lower part of the tower and the western buttresses have been extensively tied together with ironwork: an entry in the Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham records: 'Hepworth Steeple screwed together with irons by Mr. Bloomfield of Thelnetham, November 1828'. The interior fittings, including the double hammer-beam roof, date from the post- fire restoration of 1899. Beside the pulpit is the blocked door to the former rood stairs, and on the south wall of the nave the remains of a much-damaged piscina with cusped head. 6 C15 poppy-head bench ends survive in the chancel. The one outstanding feature of the church is the late C14 pinnacled font cover, octagonal, and 12ft 6 inches high. The ornate carving is unusual, and much-damaged, in 3 tiers, with a 3-tier pinnacle above; the lowest stage has a miniature building on each face, with windows and doorways in which little figures stand.

Listing NGR: TL9874874854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284267
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03412/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Raymond Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].