CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1031224
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BARDWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 21:51:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BARDWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton
National Grid Reference:
TL9620073752

Details

TL 97 SE 3/24 14.7.55

STANTON BARDWELL ROAD Church of St. John (Formerly listed as Remains of the Church of St. John under General) GV II* Former parish church, now a roofless shell. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. C13 and C14: since repairs in 1980 the walls are standing to their full height. In flint rubble, with remains of old render: some admixture of stone and red brick in the south wall of the nave; freestone dressings and facings to buttresses, and moulded stone string course running below the nave windows and along the chancel walls. Nave in 3 bays: the south buttresses have panels of black knapped flint, with a wide angle buttress at the south-east corner: a diagonal buttress at the north-east corner. On the south side, 2 3-light windows with intersecting tracery and one Y-window. On the north, 3 2-light windows, 2 with curvilinear tracery, one with no tracery remaining. C13 north and south doorways with continuous hollow chamfer mouldings. C14 porch, formerly gabled: 2 diagonal buttresses with chequerwork bases in stone and black knapped flint, and a blocked niche above the doorway. Chancel with a single 2-light window with decorated tracery in north and south walls, and a similar 2-light east window. A panel on the outside of the east gable has the dates 1616 and 1858 and initials GB for George Bidwell, Rector 1811-1865. The exterior of the east wall is rendered, and the slope of the gable finished in crow-stepped red brick: this was apparently part of the 1616 restoration work, which clearly did not involve the complete rebuilding of the chancel (as stated by Pevsner). The west wall of the tower is built up against the boundary of the churchyard, and the lowest stage is open to provide a processional way around the church. 4 stages, with a base of moulded stone blocks and a repaired embattled parapet with chequerwork patterns of black knapped flint and part red, part white, brick. Diagonal buttresses to the west: the west wall of the nave projects to form angle buttresses. A slightly later stair turret, interrupting the stonework of the south archway, is set externally into the south-east angle and rises to the top of the 2nd stage: entered by a small doorway in the west wall of the nave. High in the west gable is a small square window. For further details on the history and fittings of this church see David Dymond: The Churches of Stanton, Suffolk, a History and Guide.

Listing NGR: TL9620073752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284287
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dymond, D, The Churches of Stanton Suffolk a History and Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03411/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Raymond Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].