CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1031246

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 20:20:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Ingham

National Grid Reference: TL 85525 70546

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 87 SE INGHAM THE STREET (EAST SIDE)

2/26 Church of St. Bartholomew 14.7.55

GV II*

Parish church of C14 and earlier origin, much restored in 1861. Flint, with freestone dressings, and plaintiled roofs with diaper patterns in black tiles. The west tower, nave and south porch are in black knapped random flint, with a very small admixture of other stone. Tower in 4 stages on a base of narrow flushwork panels with .trefoil heads. A high, plain embattled parapet and stone-faced diagonal buttresses. A simple early C14 west doorway, with a large 3-light window with reticulated tracery above, and 4 2-light windows with cusped plate-tracery to top stage. The south porch was rebuilt as part of the extensive restoration of the church by the Rev. E.R. Benyon in 1861 and is used as a vestry. Its 2 windows are filled with fragments of medieval stained - glass. All other windows in the building have clear glass. The C14 south doorway, damaged, has one order of nook shafts. The nave has 2-tier stone-faced buttresses, adn 2 3-light windows in Decorated style to each wall. Wide chancel, rebuilt in C19: faced in kidney flints, 2-light windows, angle buttresses: 5-light east window in Perpendicular style. Inside, the interior of the tower forms part of the nave, with a very high arch replacing the internal wall. Nave roof boarded, with embattled cornice. C19 benches and pulpit, 2 doors to the rood stair in the north east corner, with a wide lodge, jutting out from the chancel arch in front of the upper door, which gave access to the rood loft. High C19 replaced chancel arch. 3-bay arch-braced collar roof, with carved windbraces to the purlins which may come from an earlier roof. Below at the west end of the nave, a plain square late C12 font with unusual moulded bases to the angles, resembling a waterleaf form. Four C15 poppyhead bench ends survive. Although much restored in 1861, the church was clearly not rebuilt entirely at that time, as stated e.g. by Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TL8552570546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 284235

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961)

End of official listing