This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1031270



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wordwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 284186

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/65 Church of All Saints 14.7.55 - I

Parish church, now redundant. C11, restored 1868, by the Rev. E.R. Benyon. Nave and chancel in rubble flint, mainly coursed: C19 bellcote on west wall in kidney flint. Freestone dressings, plaintiled roofs. Each window is different but all in Decorated style. A mid C19 timber south porch. Of north and south doorways, with marked Saxon influence in the decoration. Both have identical form: nook-shafts, capitals with volutes, and a heavy roll-moulding to the arch above, enclosing a carved tympanum. The tympanum over the south doorway is a striking, well-executed design of 2 dogs facing each other, with an intricately interlaced tree of life between them. The tympanum over the blocked north doorway has the decoration facing inwards: this is a strange, crudely-executed design, with 2 figures, one holding up a ring, and a grid-like implement between them. Possibly St. Katherine with her wheel and St. Lawrence with a gridiron. There is a single small figure in the same style on the side of the right hand capital of the south doorway. The inner arches of both doorways are completely plain. The interior of the nave is filled with C15 benches with poppy-heads, the 8 front benches with carved animal figures beside the poppy- heads, and traceried and panelled ends and backs. The fourth bench on the south side is carved with a lively design of wild boars and figures with human faces and animal or grotesque bodies, the latter with pointed caps. Plain, circular Norman font on a heavy, repaired base with a central supporting shaft and 3 outer shafts with damaged carved heads below the bowl. Of chancel arch, with similar decorative treatment to the north and south doorways: nook shafts, volutes to capitals, roll-moulding to west side of arch. In addition, the abaci are carved with an unusual chain-like motif. The remainder of the interior, the whole chancel, the pulpit and the roofs all date from the 1868 restoration. (For details of the interior before 1868 see Munro Cautley, 'Suffolk Churches and their Treasures', p.325).

Listing NGR: TL8280472032

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937), 325

National Grid Reference: TL8280472032


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 03:34:54.

End of official listing