CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1031294
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 13:04:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Sapiston
National Grid Reference:
TL 92050 74258

Details

TL 97 SW SAPISTON

3/86 Church of St. Andrew 14.7.55

GV I

Redundant parish church. C12, with later medieval work. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch, built in rubble flint, coursed along lower part of nave walls, some ragstone, traces of external plaster. Steeply-pitched plaintiled roofs. Plain tower in 3 stages, without butresses: internal stair, string courses, embattled parapet, 2-light windows with Y-tracery. 4 bells remain in the belfry, dismounted, 3 dated respectively 1591, 1608, and 1730. C15 south porch with plain doorway and 2 2-light windows with cusped heads. On floor, 2 medieval coffin-lids reused as paving. Norman south doorway with plain inner arch, 2 orders of columns, cushion caps, and formalised acanthus-leaf decoration on both arches, a very unusual motif in Suffolk. There is a scratch dial on each of the outer columns. The nave walls appear to have been heightened. On south side of nave 2 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery, and another 2-light window with flat Tudor arch. Inside, remains of Easter Sepulchre against north wall, with traces of wall-painting above. Plain octagonal font with damaged Jacobean cover. Blocked north doorway. Roof, uncovered 1982, of simple rafter type, with scissor-bracing halved across the collars. This was covered during the C19 with barrel vaulting and 3 false hammerbeam trusses. Benches around the nave walls include 2 small ones with low seats, apparently for children. Floor paved with white gault floor bricks, laid in rows diagonally. 2 black ledger slabs, one much damaged. The chancel has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and remains of medieval glass. Piscina with restored cusped ogee head and tiny matching side opening. Small pointed doorway with hood-mould. Blocked south window. Roof still covered.

Listing NGR: TL9205074258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284063
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13549/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].