CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1031300
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031300.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:12:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Fornham All Saints
National Grid Reference:
TL 83752 67623

Details

TL 8467-8567 FORNHAM ALL SAINTS THE GREEN (WEST SIDE)

3/10 Church of All Saints 14.7.55

GV I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored 1863/4. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north and south aisles and north transept, in rubble flint with freestone dressings. C20 plaintiled roofs to nave and chancel. Small, unbuttressed tower without a west door: 3 stages with fine grotesque gargoyles below the parapet. The parapet and pinnacles were added in 1864. Remains of coursed rubble flint in the north wall of the nave, and one Y-tracery window at the west end of the south wall. C12 south doorway with one order of shafts, volute capitals, each different, and a roll-moulded arch. C15 south porch, faced in black knapped flint, with a shallow gabled parapet faced with stone quatrefoils; a central niche and crocketted pinnacles at the angles. A 2-bay open timber roof with ogee-mouldings to joists and cross beams and carved bosses at the intersections: the central boss, a bearded human face with protruding tongue, is particularly fine. Chancel with windows in Decorated style: flowing tracery to both windows on north side, with evidence in the walling for earlier window openings; 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. The north transept has a shallow-pitched lead roof and was extensively restored in 1864. Perpendicular north aisle with 2-light windows. Late C15 south aisle, the same height as the nave, which was added to the south wall of the porch and extends beyond the east end of the nave: 3 2-light Perpendicular windows on the south side, and a renewed 3-light east window; a fine crenellated parapet with flushwork panels bearing various initials and shields and the inscriptions 'IHS HAVE MERCY'. A row of gargoyles below the parapet. Nave interior with a fine set of 8 pairs of C15 benches with poppyheads, one pair also with animals carved on the armrests. 3 benches in the same style in the north aisle. Nave with a plain scissor- braced rafter roof; north aisle roof with ogee-moulded main timbers and joists, arched bracing to the principals, carved bosses; south aisle roof C19 restored. A C15 doorway with panelled jambs and carved spandrels leads from the east end of the north aisle into the north transept, now the vestry. The south aisle has a simple piscina and the remains of niches in the south-east and north-east angles, the former with a decorated canopy. Victorianised chancel, with a boarded and decorated roof.

Listing NGR: TL8375267623

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284074
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10032/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Hornish. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].