This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE STABLES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE STABLES

List entry Number: 1031331

Location

THE STABLES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Watton-at-Stone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356325

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WATTON-AT-STONE WOODHALL PARK TL 31 NW 4/210 The Stables 24.11.66 (formerly listed as Former Stable Block) - II

Large stable block to Woodhall Park (q.v.), converted to 3 dwellings, offices and garages. 1777-82 probably by T. Leverton for Sir T. Rumbold. Converted 1857 by D. Braddell for Abel Smith. Yellow stock brick with stone, timber and cement rendered dressings. Hipped slate roof. Neo-classical style. Quadrangular block with central yard. 2 storeys. Principal elevation to drive is 1:3:1:3:1 with central pseudo-Triumphal Arch and end bays projecting slightly. Entrance arch is rendered with rusticated voussoirs, Doric order with pilasters framing empty niches and blank panels. Cornice serves as impost band to arch. Rusticated quoins, blind oculi and a modillioned pediment above. Surmounting this arch is a large clock tower. Square base, 2 faces with clocks, 2 with blind panels, rebated and panelled quadrant angles. Cornice steps up segmentally over each face. Domical leaded cupola, finial with golden ball and weathervane. Inside entrance arch is a groin vault, sides have blind openings, C20 2 light casements, stone band to upper lunettes. Flanking arch 3 bays to each side have C20 glazing bar sashes, recessed with gauged brick flat arched heads, stone sills, probably following original blank openings. Stone plinth and plat band to smaller first floor with margin glazed 2 light casements. Modillion eaves cornice. Rainwater heads with date of conversion. Projecting end bays have brick quoins, ground floor sashes, that to left in an architrave, large relieving arches with inserted pseudo-Diocletian windows. Ridge stacks. A hip on roof to left return which is now garden elevation of house, 1:3:3:3:1 with projecting centre and ends. Central brick arch, rusticated quoins and voussoirs, flanking niches and stone panels, oculi in spandrels, pediment. Double flight of steps up to inserted French windows with architrave and an upper lunette. Flanking bays have 6:9 pane sashes and 2 light casements as on entrance front. Outer bays have architraved sashes and pseudo-Diocletian windows. Right return from entrance elevation is plainer and leads to office wing. Similarly disposed 1:2:3:2:1 without a central arch, outer of central bays project with quoining, niches, panels, continuous stone band. Cornice with modillions only on end bays. Projecting end bays with relieving arches, oculi, quoining. Dummy and blind openings with tiny oculi at heads, inserted entrances and 2 light casements. To rear a 3 bay wing to house, quoining and a 1 storey C20 tetrastyle loggia. Inside stable yard: rear of entrance elevation, keyblocked arch with blind niches and inserted windows. Cornice and pediment. Flanking relieving arches on ground floor with C20 openings. First floor margin glazed 2 light casements. Rear of house wing to right was extended out in 1957 to form an asymmetrical elevation. Entrance with Doric portico, 6 panelled architraved door, ground floor relieving arches and sashes. Stone band to first floor with oculi and 2 light casements. Inner elevation of office wing has 2:4:2 elevation with centre bays projecting slightly. Ground floor relieving arches, depressed to centre garage doors except to 2 right bays. First floor oculi in outer central bays, otherwise 2 light margin glazed casements. To rear linking house and office wing a depressed arch over iron gates, surmounted by an C18 urn, flanking niches with 2 bays of blind openings to right in relieving arches. Interior not inspected. Mounting block inside yard. The stable block is on the site of the Tudor/Elizabethan house which was destroyed by a fire in 1771. A long avenue leads up to the entrance arch. (Country Life, 14/5/59: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3176218499

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in 14 May, (1959)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 31762 18499

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 08:17:46.

End of official listing