6, 8, AND 10, CHURCH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1031531

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: 6, 8, AND 10, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 6, 8, AND 10, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031531 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 08:33:36.

Location

Statutory Address: 6, 8, AND 10, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shillington

National Grid Reference: TL 12642 34071

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1234 SHILLINGTON AND STONTON CHURCH STREET

346/18/10006 No. 6, 8 and 10

- II

3 houses, formerly one dwelling. C17, incorporating part of a medieval open hall, with C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Timber framing, underbuilt in red brick at ground floor level, with painted smooth render to upper floor between studwork, and to gable ends. Plain tiled roof with central brick ridge stack. PLAN: linear range, with earlier central lobby entrance, now with lower added bays set back at either end. Late C20 extension to rear. FRONT (south-east) ELEVATION: 2 storeys, with central 3-bay range and single bay,2-storeyed additions. Upper floor framing of thin scantling, close studded, with diagonal tension braces to each corner and jowled corner posts, that to north-east gable of central range with a shallow curved brace Flemish bond brickwork to ground floor, incorporating vitrified header bricks to create a chequer-board pattern. Lower end bays with a matching pattern of brickwork and framing, with some replacement brickwork at the south-west end. Main range with central doorway with plank door, flanked by stacked 3-light casements, each light of 6 panes, beneath brick soldier arches, and with projecting timber cills. End bays with a 2-light casement to each floor, that to the north-east with a doorway. INTERIOR: not inspected, but known to contain items of interest, including the central hearth, spine beams and joists, and the central roof truss of the former open hall, incorporating shallow arch bracing and clasped purlins. HISTORY: the building is shown on an Enclosure map of 1817, and is described as The Workhouse.



Listing NGR: TL1264234071

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 468970

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing