Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1031702

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1961

Statutory Address: DENSTON HALL


Ordnance survey map of DENSTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 15:26:49.


Statutory Address: DENSTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Denston

National Grid Reference: TL 75869 52450


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. DENSTON Denston Hall 2006 TL 75 SE 7/177 19.12.61. II* 2. A fine early C18 house with a long range of C16 buildings at the rear, the remains of an early C16 house which is known to have stood on the site. The Hall has an interesting history. In 1564 Henry Cheyney made over the manor of Denston to William Burd without licence to alienate from the crown. Estate was therefore forfeited in 1565 but later returned. William Burd died in 1591, and by 1602 the estate had passed to his son, but was again seized by the crown, for debt and leased to Sir John Robinson. In 1617 it was bought by William Robinson, in whose family it stayed until the early part of the C19. The front part of the Hall is early C18, red brick and blue brick headers, with a parapet and a raised brick band. 2 storeys and attics. 2:5:2 window range on the east front, 3 window range on the inner faces of the wings (some blocked), and 4 window range on the south front. The windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars in flush cased frames. A raised brick band runs between the storeys. A central Ionic porch projects on the front with fluted columns and a cornice. Roof slate, mansard, with 3 pedimented dormers on the main front, the centre dormer has a segmental pediment. The interior has a good circular hall with rooms to the left and right of it, circa 1770. The left hand room opens on to the staircase with a screen of 2 columns. The ceilings have Adam style ornamentation. The staircase has early C18 twisted balusters. At the rear of the C18 house there is a long range of C16 red brick buildings, part of the original house. It has brick mullioned windows with Tudor arches and brick hood moulds, also Tudor arched doorways with boarded doors with fillets. At the south end there is a fine room with moulded beam and joist ceiling with an embattled frieze and carved spandrels to the arched braced tie beams. There are some linenfold panels with heads in roundels. The room may have been used as a chapel. Roof tiled, with a chimney stack with 2 diagonally set shafts.

Listing NGR: TL7586952450


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 283085

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing