This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALTAZIMUTH PAVILION AT THE ROYAL OBSERVATORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALTAZIMUTH PAVILION AT THE ROYAL OBSERVATORY

List entry Number: 1031860

Location

ALTAZIMUTH PAVILION AT THE ROYAL OBSERVATORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Aug-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489754

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

786/0/10144 Altazimuth Pavilion at the Royal 21-AUG-02 Observatory

GV II

Altazimuth house incorporating garden shelter. Circa 1899. In grounds of New Physical Laboratory built between 1890 and 1899, in same style and probably by same hand, William Crisp in close collaboration with W H M Christie, Astronomer Royal. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with terracotta decoration and roof covered in C20 synthetic roof covering. Comprises one storey polygonal structure, open to one side with elaborate porches at each side and central dome with elaborate cast iron finial with sun emblem and coved cornice with oculi to observe stars and planets. North west side has five sashes with horns and only the upper parts glazed. Porches have terracotta moulding of triglyphs and paterae, elaborate console brackets and oculus above a terracotta doorcase with engaged fluted and rusticated Tuscan columns and entablature with triglyphs and eared architrave with panel inscribed "ALTAZIMUTH". There are interior panels and double doors with eight panels, the top two panels glazed and three concrete steps. Elaborate octagonal cast iron lamps with star finial on either side of porches. South east side is a garden shelter with five open cambered arches, ribbed ceiling and wooden seats. Three steps to ground. Interior not seen. An altazimuth is a structure for measuring the altitude and azimuth of a celestial body.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38926 77270

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1031860 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:51:03.

End of official listing