CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032019
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SCHOOL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032019.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:45:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SCHOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Andrew, Ilketshall
National Grid Reference:
TM 37913 87238

Details

ILKETSHALL ST. ANDREW SCHOOL ROAD TM 38 NE 2/14 Church of St. Andrew 1.9.53 - I Parish church. C12, C14 and C15. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. In rubble flint, with the remains of old render; coursed rubble to the lower stages of the tower; freestone dressings. C20 plaintiled roofs. The round tower has a later octagonal top stage, in which plain arched window openings alternate with traceried flushwork panels simulating 2-light windows; crenellated parapet, also with flushwork. One Norman slit window in the north wall of the nave and a lancet in the north wall of the chancel; the remainder, 2-light-Perpendicular windows to nave, 2- and 3-light to chancel. Diagonal buttresses at east end. Early Tudor red brick 2-storied porch with a moulded depressed arch and diagonal buttresses. The rebuilt upper part is in flintwork, with a reinstated statue of St. Andrew above the doorway. Inside, a flat timber ceiling, holy water stoup, and a turret stair for the upper room in the south-east corner. The north and south doorways are both Norman: plain on the north, and on the south with one order of shafts, cushion capitals, moulded abaci, enriched zig-zag ornament round the arch, and an old studded door. Interior with a pointed early C14 tower arch and no chancel arch. 2 shallow niches in the south wall of the nave and another below the Norman slit window in the north wall. The arms of Charles II carved in wood above the tower arch. C15 octagonal font: each face of the bowl has a shield surrounded by a cusped circle, and the 2-tier base has small clustered pilasters. Hexagonal pulpit of circa 1700 with a shaped base and panels with very late Jacobean-style decoration. C15 nave roof in 9 bays, with the common rafters replaced in 7 of them: arched brace form, the solid collars immediately below the apex with a hanging central boss and braces to the ridge-piece. Braces, collars, purlins and wall-posts are all moulded, and along the wall between the trusses are solid arched braces with carving in the spandrels. The chancel roof, in 4 bays, is in the same style, and appears to be a C19 copy. The front 4 pairs of benches in the nave have panelled backs: one is dated 1617 with initials S.A.; 3 early C16 benches in the chancel have fine poppyheads, with signs of Renaissance influence. One C16 bench in the nave is richly carved, with the name John Bonsey. A blocked recess in the south wall of the chancel has a flamboyant ogee arch to its head. C17 altar rails with carved balusters and moulded handrail. In the south-east corner, a simple piscina with cavetto moulding to the pointed arch. The nave is paved with old floor bricks.

Listing NGR: TM3791387238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282230
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14144/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman H Sumter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].