HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032028
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032028.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:54:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Barsham
National Grid Reference:
TM 39699 89633

Details

BARSHAM TM 38 NE 4/3 Holy Trinity Church 1-9-53 GV I Parish church. Medieval; south Chantry Chapel rebuilt 1908, replacing the original which was demolished in 1785. Nave, chancel, west tower, north chapel, north sacristy and organ chamber, south porch. Flint rubble with remains of plasterwork; stone dressings. Thatched roof to nave, plaintiles to chancel. Round tower, in 3 phases: the lower part, which is not later than Cll, has 3 C12 lancet windows; the slightly narrower belfry stage incorporates some red brick, and has C15 openings (missing tracery) to each quarter. The tower is surmounted by a spike. The nave is probably Cll, the west angles being constructed of field stone; there is one early, perhaps original, window in the west wall. To the south the nave has 3 C14 2-light windows. Late C14 porch (restored) and nave doorway. Simple unmoulded north doorway. C14 chancel: to the south there is a broad lancet window, 2 2-light windows (one renewed) and an unmoulded Priest's doorway. The whole of the chancel east end is decorated with a lozenge grid of flushwork, the design being carried through as tracery across the whole of the window; this stone tracery was renewed following storm damage in 1906. It is described by Pevsner as 'a unique conception'; the most likely date is the early C17 when the chancel roof was renewed. Sacristy and organ chamber of c.1880, incorporating re-used C14 windows. Interior. C14 2-bay chapel arcade. The nave roof was renewed following a fire in 1979. Early C17 5-bay chancel roof, said to be dated 1633; the wallplate is inscribed 'Joseph Fleming Rector'. The panelled ceiling with Jacobean-style plasterwork was added in 1906. In the sanctuary is a piscina with cusped ogee arch, and adjacent a drop-sill sedila. Good C15 carved octagonal font; in the chancel is a disused C12 font with a square tapering bowl. Early C17 square pulpit, the base and tester both renewed; the pulpit stairs, with turned baulsters and the date 1636, may once have formed part of the altar rails. The rood screen incorporates early C17 work but has been much restored: the figures above the rood beam were added in 1893 and the painted rood canopy in 1919. 2 good monuments in north sanctuary: in the floor an early C15 brass effigy of a knight; recessed in the wall a richly moulded terracotta tomb chest to Sir Edward Echingham (1527). C18 ledger slabs in chancel. The east window has stained glass of c.1875 by Kempe, 28 of the panels containing a single figure. Stored in the chapel are 4 hatchments and Arms of Anne and George III.

Listing NGR: TM3969989633

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282154
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07171/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric Crabtree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].