CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032044
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032044.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:35:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Ringsfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 40315 88429

Details

RINGSFIELD CHURCH ROAD TM 48 NW 5/39 Church of All Saints 1-9-53 GV II* Parish church. Medieval, considerably rebuilt by Butterfield 1883-4. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry and organ chamber. Flint rubble with stone dressings, all plastered except for the tower and porch. Continuous thatched roof. C15 square unbuttressed tower with original 2-light west window; 2-light Y-traceried belfry openings. C17 stepped red brick parapet with 2 tiers of flushwork panels and pierced obelisk pinnacles. Part of the nave is C15 but the east end and the chancel are all of 1883-4. Various small windows, largely of late C19. Crowstepped brick porch, probably late C16 but much restored. Against the south chancel wall is a fine brick aedicule, originally stuccoed, with pilasters and pediment: within is a semi- circular headed niche containing a pedimented inscription to Nicholas Garneys (1628) and Anne his wife, with a brass below; in the head of the arch is a mermaid, the Garneys family crest. Attached to the north wall of the chancel, in the angle with the organ chamber, is a monument to Caroline Murat, grand- daughter of Napoleon's sister, erected 1902. Interior. C15 carved octagonal font, the bowl panels depicting flowers, lions and angels bearing shields; some traces of original colouring. Early C17 carved pulpit with backboard (altered) and a tester supported by carved brackets; late C19 stone base. Early C17 screen with a panelled dado and turned balusters and obelisks above. Set of 28 nave benches, probably C17, with carved straight-topped ends. There are various panels of C17 woodwork with painted inscriptions, said to be the work of the Rev. Robert Shelford (d.1639).

Listing NGR: TM4031588429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282190
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].