CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032046
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032046.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:31:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Spexhall
National Grid Reference:
TM 37832 80175

Details

TM 38 SE SPEXHALL CHURCH LANE

2/18 Church of St. Peter

1-9-55

- II*

Parish church. C12, C15, C18, C19 and early C20. Random flint, with plaintiled roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch, and round battlemented west tower which is a rebuild of 1911 of the earlier tower, said to be Saxon, which fell in 1725. The remainder of the church is basically Norman. Norman north doorway to nave with simple, partly defaced, carving to the arch. Early C14 south doorway, with multiple continuous mouldings, inside a porch rebuilt in 1733. Perpendicular 2-light windows. The east wall was rebuilt in 1713 and has a trellis pattern of red brick on flint, and 2 stepped diagonal buttresses, that on the south-east dated June 18th, 1713. The 3-light east window with panel tracery was inserted in 1876. Over the priest's door on the south side of the chancel is a flying buttress added in 1888. Extensively restored interior of 1876: the roof, pews, tiles and plaster are all of that date. A holy water stoup to each side of the south door. An octagonal C15 font with low base, panelled shaft, and quatrefoils with shields round the bowl. Piscinae in the nave and chancel have identical cinquefoil cusping to the heads and chamfered jambs with broach stops. C15 heraldic glass in the north west window of the nave. The doorway and part of the stairs to the rood are in the north wall of the nave beside the panelled, but much restored, C17 pulpit. In front of the nave benches, the remains of 2 C15 benches with poppyheads and the remains of a further 4 pairs in the chancel. A section of Jacobean panelling against the north wall of the chancel. The stained glass in the east window is a memorial to Queen Victoria. On the south nave wall, brasses commemorating John and Maria Browne and their family: 1591, 1593 and 1601.

Listing NGR: TM3783280175

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282092
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12810/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman H Sumter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].