CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032081
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032081 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:49:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Mutford
National Grid Reference:
TM 48630 88591

Details

MUTFORD CHURCH ROAD TM 48 NE 2/36 Church of St. Andrew -

- I

Parish church. Medieval; chancel restored 1881. Nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower, south porch, west Galilee porch. Flint rubble with some stone and brick admixture; the north chancel is plastered, the north nave and south aisle have remains of plasterwork; stone dressings. Plaintiled roofs to nave and chancel. Round tower, C11 or earlier, with various later blocked lancet windows. Octagonal belfry stage, probably C14: there are openings on 4 faces, alternating with dummy openings in flushwork; crenellated parapet with flushwork panels. Early C14 Galilee porch, much restored: wide segmental entrance arch, almost semi-circular; trefoil-headed side windows. The nave north wall is C12, with 2 2-light Perpendicular windows. Early C14 aisle with 2 restored Y-tracery windows to the south; original 2-light west window with blocked tracery. A one-bay addition at the east end of the aisle was demolished in the early C18 when the east aisle and south chancel walls were infilled and a single mullion and transom window added to each. South porch added 1891. C14 chancel: large 3-light east window, the tracery probably renewed C19; equally large north window, now blocked; both these windows are shafted internally. The east end of the chancel has original flushwork panelling to the plinth. Interior. 4-bay aisle arcade. 6-bay nave roof, probably C17; 4-bay arched-braced chancel roof, largely of 1881. The aisle roof is partly original, the bracing with traceried spandrels. In the north east nave is a semi-circular headed recess with C12 chrevron-moulded arch, perhaps the tomb of a founder of the church. The aisle has a good C14 piscina with a cusped and pinnacled ogee arch enriched with foliage, and set against a canopied background with panelling. Adjacent is a drop-sill sedila. Late C14 octagonal font: 4 lions against the stem and angels on the underside of the bowl, the carved bowl panels now lost; the upper step of the base is inscribed and is enriched with quatrefoil tracery. On the north nave wall is a painting of St. Christopher, now very indistinct. A little C15 woodwork with remains of traceried panels is incorporated in a screen below the tower arch. 4 nave benches have C15 poppyhead ends and 5 others have similar but later ends. Arms of William IV over south doorway.

Listing NGR: TM4863088591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282065
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05622/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Keith Drewery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].