CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032110
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032110.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:58:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Benacre
National Grid Reference:
TM 51162 84460

Details

BENACRE THE STREET TM 58 SW 4/8 Church of St. Michael - - II*

Former parish church, now privately owned by Sir John Gooch. Medieval; severely damaged by fire in C18: much restoration and rebuilding work was carried out in 1769 by Sir Thomas Gooch; also restored 1888-90. Nave and chancel (in one range), south aisle, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, the aisle and east end of the chancel probably of 1769; the upper part of the nave, chancel and aisle walls rebuilt 1769 in red brick (to north) and pale yellow brick (to south). Stone dressings. Pantiled roof, with glazed black tiles to the aisle. Tower probably C14, said to have been reduced in height late C18: square, in 2 stages, the upper stage slightly inset; later crenellated parapet with 3 flushwork panels to each face. To the west are 5- stage diagonal buttresses and a restored C15 2-light window. Small single- light bell-chamber openings except the south, which has 2 lights with cusped Y-tracery. Lower walls of nave and chancel probably C13. To the north the nave has 4 2-light windows of 1769 in Perpendicular style, and a blocked C15 doorway with hoodmould and stone shields in the spandrels. 2-bay chancel with Y-traceried wooden windows of 1769; renewed 3-light east window, the opening shafted internally. The south chancel wall has small remains of 2 original lancet window openings. 3-bay aisle, originally C14 but substantially rebuilt 1769; C14 moulded doorway; original window opening to west, now blocked. Red brick porch, probably of 1769. Interior. C14 6-bay aisle arcade. C13 octagonal font bowl, of Purbeck marble, with 2 shallow-recessed arches to each face. Good set of C18 box pews; C19 choir stalls and organ at west end of nave; late C19 squire's pew at east end of nave. Traceried wooden chancel arch, possibly of 1769. Many wall monuments and ledger slabs, mainly to the North and Gooch families. The main wall monuments are as follows. North nave: Sir Thomas Gooch (1781), Dame Anne, his wife (1767) and Sir Thomas Gooch, his son (1826): by Behnes, without figures. North chancel: Francisca North (1663); Sir Edward North (1708): large, with standing and seated putti; Louisa Anna Maria Gooch (1838). South chancel: North Carthew (1716) and Sir Alfred Sherlock Gooch (1809): both cartouches; Sir Thomas Sherlock Gooch (1851): good, with 3 Grecian figures. At the west end of the nave are 8 good hatchments.

Listing NGR: TM5116284460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282037
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/00565/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].