Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:35:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 23364 68642


WORLINGWORTH CHURCH STREET TM 26 NW 5/115 Church of St Mary 29.7.55 - I Parish church. Medieval, restored 1866. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Nave roof leaded, chancel plaintiled. Mid C15 square tower, 23m high; 4-stage diagonal buttresses with chequer flushwork; crenellated parapet, restored mid C20. Moulded west doorway with shield-carved spandrels; above is a renewed 3-light window. 2- light belfry openings. 4-bay nave, completed c.1478, with contemporary porch. Both are enriched with various flushwork designs on plinth and buttresses. Large 3-light windows. Good south doorway with 2 orders of shafts and many continuous mouldings; original door. Moulded north doorway with one order of shafts supporting a hoodmould; the jambs and arch are also carved with fleurons, masks and beasts' heads; original door. Fine porch, the facade with further flushwork designs and arched panelling above; moulded entrance arch, the spandrels carved with St George and the dragon; empty canopied statue niche; crenellated parapet with flushwork. Original roof with moulded timbers. 3-bay chancel of c.1300, the 2-light side windows and Priest's doorway substantially intact; 4-light east window with Geometric tracery. The windows are hoodmoulded internally. Interior. Nave has a fine original 9-bay double hammerbeam roof: pierced tracery above the lower hammerbeams and above the collars; enriched cornice; the angels at the ends of the lower hammerbeams are a mid C20 addition. Arched-braced chancel roof of 1866. Chancel has intact angle piscina of c.1300 with a drop-sill sedilia adjacent; a further piscina in the south-east nave. In north-east corner of nave is the roof loft stair with original arched entrances above and below. C15 octagonal font on a wide, 2-stepped base; bowl panels carved with Signs of the Evangelists and shield-bearing angels; 4 lions against the stem, at the base of which is an original inscription. Tall C15 font cover with crocketed and buttressed canopy, much restored; it was re-painted and gilded in 1963. Fine and unusual set of early C17 nave box pews, splaying outwards to west: carved ends with knob finials and back-to-back consoles; a carved panel to the front of one bench at the east end bears the date 1630. Early C17 carved hexagonal pulpit with suspended tester; later wooden base and other alteration. Dado of C15 rood screen with 6 2-light traceried panels. Mid-late C19 chancel furnishings including marble and stone reredos. Chancel contains 3 good wall monuments: Sir John Major (1781); Dame Ann Henniker (1792); Elizabeth, Dowager Duchess of Chandos (1813); for details see Pevsner. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs in nave. Tracery of nave windows contains fragments of C15 glass. Small remains of medieval wall painting on north nave wall; on south-east wall part of another painting, showing a fleur-de-lys and crown. Framed Arms of George III, c.1810, on north nave wall.

Listing NGR: TM2336468642


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07728/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].