This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ASPALL HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASPALL HALL

List entry Number: 1032403

Location

ASPALL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aspall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281282

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASPALL TM 16 NE 4/1 Aspall Hall 29.7.55 - II* Manor house. Late C16 and C17 with early C18 and early C19 alterations. A long main range with service wing to south forming L-shape plan. A further shorter rear wing at the north end. Timber framed core. The 2 main wings have early C18 facades of red brick with dark headers; first floor brick band, wooden modillion eaves cornice. Early C19 red brick to most of remainder. Hipped slated roof. 2 storeys and attics. Good 12-bay front, arranged 4:3:5; later shallow gable over 3 centre bays, within which is an octagonal sundial. To either side of the gable the cornice is supported on consoles. Sash windows with glazing bars in flush frames; gauged brick arches. Former doorway in bay 6 has doorcase with console-bracketed pediment. The door has been replaced by a window, below which are re-set moulded bricks from a C16 chimney. Above is a Venetian window. The present early C19 doorways are in bays 3 and 9. Each has a flat-roofed brick porch with modillion cornice and wooden trelliswork against the front; 3-centre arched entrances with C19 semi- glazed doors within. 4 flat-roofed dormers: each has a sash window with closely-spaced vertical glazing bars, the sides of the dormer being glazed in a similar manner. Small timber bell turret on roof ridge, central to front gable. 3 internal stacks with plain red brick shafts, the heaviest to the right. 7-bay return facade to right: segmental-headed sash windows, some with closely-set vertical glazing bars only; two first floor painted dummy windows. Flat-roofed brick porch within which is an C18 8-panel door and rectangular overlight in a heavy frame. 3 dormers as main front. Brick gable end of north wing is of c.1600, in English bond, with a pair of blocked circular windows at attic level and similar windows below, now partly obscured. Early C19 work to rear, one doorway with fluted pilasters and entablature. Interior. Parlour at left end has a fine late C16 plaster ceiling: moulded cross-beams, the soffits enriched with intricate interlaced ornament; fantail friezes on the walls and the sides of the cross-beams. The 4 divisions have moulded ribs with pendant bosses, fleur-de-lys and rosette motifs. The hall ceiling has cross-beams with simply-moulded plaster encasing. One first floor fireplace has a good oak mantelpiece of c.1600 with much intricate carving. Parlour has mid C18 mantelpiece decorated in rococo style. Several other C18 mantelpieces and some good cast iron grates, 2 with tiled surrounds. First floor room in north wing has some early C17 panelling. Early C19 alterations included widening of main range to provide a passage at the rear: many 3- centre arches and panelled doors of this date. The roof was largely rebuilt in early C19 although the trusses of c.1600 in the main range still survive. The Chevallier family have lived here since early C18. Anne Chevallier, the mother of Lord Kitchener, was married here in 1845. A circular moat surrounds the house. Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977, pp.160-1.

Listing NGR: TM1720365353

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977), 160-1

National Grid Reference: TM 17203 65353

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 06:51:07.

End of official listing