CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032509
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, GREEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032509.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:34:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, GREEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoxne
National Grid Reference:
TM 18139 77507

Details

HOXNE GREEN STREET TM 17 NE 7/82 Church of SS. Peter and 29.7.55 Paul GV I Parish church. Medieval; chancel rebuilt 1853. Restored 1879-80. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble, the tower faced in knapped flint; stone dressings. Nave roof clad in copper, chancel roof slated. Fine C15 square tower, in 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet; polygonal stair turret projects on south side and rises above parapet. Around the plinth a frieze of cusped panels containing shields. West doorway is enriched with fleurons, crowns, mitres and shields; a hoodmould encloses rose-carved spandrels. Part of the door is original. Above is a 3-light window flanked by canopied image niches. 3- light belfry openings (renewed). Nave is substantially C15: to the south are 4 tall 2-light windows, considerably restored; moulded south doorway with hoodmould supported by 2 large crowned heads. C15 porch with original roof. To the north a range of 5 2-light clerestorey windows. C15 nave aisle has 3 restored 3-light windows and a doorway enriched with shields and fleurons. North aisle extended by 2 bays to east c.1475 to form a Lady Chapel, the windows now renewed. Chancel is in Perpendicular style, with a 4-light east window and 2-light windows to the south. Interior. Low 6-bay aisle arcade, perhaps of late C13 date. The Lady Chapel has a single arch to the chancel and to the nave aisle. Nave roof has an incomplete C15 cornice with embattled ornament and fleurons; the remainder of the roof seems to be a C17 reconstruction. Nave aisle has original roof, the main components moulded; 2 lower needled tie beams are C17 insertions, one bearing the date 1621. On the north nave wall are 4 C15 paintings showing St. Christopher, the Seven Deadly Sins, the Acts of Mercy and the Last Judgement. Mid C15 carved octagonal font; the tall cover is dated 1879. At east end of nave aisle are 4 benches with C15 poppyhead ends and carved arm-rests. The remainder of the nave and chancel seating is mid-late C19. Against east wall of Lady Chapel is a large marble monument to Thomas Maynard (1742) by Charles Stanley. This shows a life-size figure standing against an urn set on a pedestal; the pedestal has a well-carved relief of women and children. The whole is set against a black marble obelisk. 2 ledger slabs at east end of nave have C17 brass inscriptions.

Listing NGR: TM1813977507

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281023
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13414/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Tessa Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].