Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032889.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:12:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 23004 76812


TM 27 NW, 5/152

WINGFIELD, CHURCH ROAD, Church of St. Andrew




Parish church. Rebuilt in the period mid C14-early C15 following the founding of Wingfield College by the will of Sir John de Wingfield in 1362. Restored mid C19. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Nave and chancel roofs plaintiled, aisle roofs leaded. C14 3-stage square tower with 2-light belfry openings and crenellated brick parapet. South nave aisle has four 2-light windows and a 3- light window to the west, all with original Decorated-style tracery and shafted internally. Late C14 porch; moulded nave doorway, the carved stops possibly representing Sir John and Lady Wingfield. 3-bay Lady Chapel to south of chancel added c.1430: C19 windows in Perpendicular style but to the east a good late C14 3-light window. All the windows are shafted internally. 3-bay north nave aisle with windows in Perpendicular style. The north chancel aisle comprises the Chapel of the Holy Trinity (now the vestry) and the Chapel of St. Margaret (now the organ chamber): various windows with a good late C14 3-light east window. Nave clerestory in five bays, with 3-light windows. The chancel has seven closely-spaced 3-light clerestory windows and a good early C15 5-light east window.

INTERIOR: medieval nave roof with carved angels at the foot of the principals. The other roofs all much renewed in C19. 5-bay arcades between nave and aisles. The Chapel of St. Margaret is open to the chancel by a single enriched arch. To the north a fine canopied doorway leads into the Chapel of the Holy Trinity (the former Wingfield chantry chapel) which has an upper chamber with medieval screen and original paintwork to ceilings. The Lady Chapel has a lavishly decorated 3-bay arcade. Furnishings include early C15 carved font; good C15 stalls with misericords; dado of medieval rood screen with traceried panels; two C15 parclose screens complete with coving. Three notable monuments. Sir John de Wingfield (1361), recessed in north chancel wall: stone effigy on tomb chest, with an enriched ogee canopy above. Michael de la Pole, 2nd Earl of Suffolk (1375) and Katherine his wife, at east end of Lady Chapel: very fine wooden effigies on a tomb chest around which are 13 canopied niches and (to the chancel) a triple sedilia. John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk (1491) and Elizabeth his wife, against north chancel wall: very fine alabaster effigies on a tomb chest with a canopy and cresting above.

For further details see Wingfield Church History & Guide (1984) and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TM2300476812


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Wingfield Church Suffolk History and Guide, (1984)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11035/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].