CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1033063
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033063.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:17:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Framsden
National Grid Reference:
TM 20077 59734

Details

FRAMSDEN THE STREET TM 25 NW 5/61 Church of St Mary 9.12.55

- I

Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle and south porch. Flint rubble with freestone dressings, mainly plastered. Nave roof slated, chancel roof plaintiled, aisle roof felted. Flat parapetted roofs to porch and tower. Much early/mid C14 work: net traceried windows with 3 good grotesque corbels and matching south doorway in chancel. C14 north and south doorways in nave, the former with disused medieval plank door. The aisle has mid C14 Y-traceried windows and a piscina with shafts and drop-tracery. 5-bay arcade; 4 large grotesque corbels survive from the original aisle roof; the present roof is inscribed with benefactors and dates 1620 and 1676: queen posts and ridge pendants. The chancel has a good early C14 piscina with drop- tracery and an angle-shaft linking with the window cill sedilia. Late C15 tower and porch both with good details: the west doorway has a label incorporating 5 shields with achievements (one missing) and a pair of image niches. Flushwork panels to buttresses, plinth and parapets. A contract with Thomas Aldrich, mason, of South Lopham, dated 1487/8 for the construction of the tower at Helmingham church, refers to the tower at Framsden, implying that Aldrich had recently built it. The outer porch wall is covered in traceried flushwork panels and there are 3 pinnacled image niches over the enriched doorway. The nave was raised in early or mid C16 in red brick with good hoodmoulded clerestory windows; 6-bay double hammerbeam roof with much enrichment. Arch-braced collar beam roof in chancel of C19. Good C15 limestone font, octagonal, with each panel of the bowl bearing lions and angels; further lions support the stem. A fine range of C15 choirstalls: 6 seats in 2 linked sections, 5 with richly-carved misericords; poppyhead ends are marked out for tracery which was never carved. 4 traceried benchends used with C19 benches have tracery of C15 or possibly late C14. A marble wall monument in the aisle to William Stebbing, gent, his wife and son Henry (d.1718). 4 early floor slabs in the chancel, one with C16 type brass indents. Marble floor slabs in the nave; 1678, 1733, 1706, 1737.

Listing NGR: TM2007759734

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279680
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07508/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr William Todd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].