- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HELMINGHAM HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033070 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:35:45.
- Statutory Address:
- HELMINGHAM HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 18656 57685
HELMINGHAM HELMINGHAM PARK
TM 15 NE
4/80 Helmingham Hall
A large country mansion, built round a courtyard, for Lionel Tollemache (High Sheriff of Suffolk and Norfolk 1512 and 1530; ob. ante 1553). Three major phases of remodelling: c.1745-1760 for the 4th Earl Dysart; c.1800 by John Nash for the 6th Earl; and c.1841, probably by A. Salvin, for John (later 1st Lord) Tollemache. The north, south and east ranges retain substantial parts of the original timber-framed house of which small sections of close-studded and jettied framing are exposed. The exterior is almost entirely encased or rebuilt in C18 and C19 red brick, apart from the upper floor of the south range which is hung with C18 red mathematical tiles above a narrow jetty. Embattled parapets and crowstepped gables. Plaintiled roofs: a number of late C16 and early C17 axial chimneys of red brick with circular and octagonal shafts in groups of 2 or 4. Courtyard plan: a central late C16 gatehouse has a 4-window range at either flank, terminated by set-forward gables. To rear of the courtyard are parallel hall and kitchen ranges; on the east is a C16 range of lodgings; and to west a parlour wing rebuilt in 1841. Windows on the south elevation by Nash have Gothick hoodmoulds and small-pane casements, those at ground storey with transomes. The terminal gables of c.1600 have 2- storey splayed bays with plastered mullions and transomes and leaded glazing, a broad moulded plaster cornice at 1st and attic floors, and octagonal corner pilasters capped by finials of carved brick which are repeated at the gable apex. These gables form the model for the design of the west front of 1841, the entire motif being repeated, with the introduction of diaper patterning in burnt headers. The mid or late C16 front gatehouse is in narrow bricks with splayed buttresses and a round-arched gateway, which until c.1800 had an entablature with pediment. At that time the corbelled oriel and crowstepped gable were added. An original gateway of c.1530 behind: timber-framed, with a depressed 4-centred arched head with carved spandrels and buttress shafts; a pair of large oak doors with ribbed panels and fine tracery at the head may be a little earlier. The courtyard face, remodelled by Nash, has reinstated a carved timber cill from an oriel window of c.1530. The great hall remains open, with queen post trusses: the arch braces are filled with trefoils, and beneath the tie beams and wall pieces are pendant bosses. Although the details are probably by Nash, the roof may have a C16 core. Much fine interior remodelling in particular the Boudoir of c.1745-60. The house is surrounded by a broad C16 moat with possibly medieval origins; the revetments with low parapets are of C18 red brick. For full details of the house and its history, Country Life: Helmingham Hall, Suffolk: Arthur Oswald; five issues August-October 1956.
Listing NGR: TM1865657685
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1956)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing