CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MAJOR LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033129.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:35:19.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MAJOR LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
- Thornham Magna
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 10391 71427
THORNHAM MAGNA MAJOR LANE (WEST SIDE)
TM 17 SW
3/75 Church of St. Mary
29.7.55 Magdalene (formerly
listed as Church of St.
Parish church. C14, south porch added, refenestrated, raised and altered in late C15. Thoroughly restored and vestry added 1851. Flint rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. A long nave with narrower, shorter and lower chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Tall C14 3 stage tower of knapped flint, to west an entrance with a double wave moulded pointed arch, mask stopped hoodmould, offset plinth, string course to tall second stage with a cusped lancet, 3 stage diagonal buttresses rise to belfy with a string course below 2-light openings with simple reticulated traceried heads, cornice to embattled parapet with angle pinnacles, gargoyle to south, lower stages have a semi-octagonal stair turret to south, south east and north east buttresses meet diagonal buttresses from nave. Nave to south has a large roughly central porch, restored outer pointed arch with shafted jambs, Tudor flower ornamented double hollow moulding, mask stopped hoodmould, double plinth, knapped flint in cusped headed panels, string course at impost level above which are 2 empty niches with cusped, crocketed and pinnacled ogee arches, in spandrels are circular panels with shields of arms, above arch a string course on which sits a central niche with a C19 carved mask at base, a ribbed vaulted ogee canopy with a richly crocketed and pinnacled head, flanking knapped flint panels with cusped ashlar heads. Very shallow gable to porch with a plain coped parapet, to centre a plinth for a statue, 3 stage diagonal ashlar buttresses with pinnacles above parapet, diamond diapering. Porch: returns have 2-light Perpendicular windows with brattished rectilinear tracery, gargoyles to plain parapet. Inner entrance has a pointed arch, double wave moulded dying into chamfered jambs, hoodmould, roof has brattished cornices. Nave has 3 south windows, all restored and of 3 lights, to east of porch one is Perpendicular, outer windows have reticulated tracery and pointed arched heads, 2 stage buttresses. Nave to north has a C19 vestry to west of centre, gabled with an outer 2-light pointed arched window, kneelers to coped gable parapet. Three restored 3-light windows as to south, all Perpendicular, 2 stage buttresses. Nave to east has moulded kneelers to a coped parapet with a broken ridge cross. Chancel: east end C19 3-light window with a pointed arch, moulded and carved kneelers to coped gable end parapet, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, to north a single restored 3-light Perpendicular window and a 2 stage buttress, to south a low side door with a simple double chamfered pointed arch, flanking 3-light Perpendicular windows and a 2 stage buttress. Interior: pointed chancel arch, double chamfered with moulded capitals to semi-octagonal responds. 7 bay single hammerbeam nave roof; restored, moulded throughout, arched braces to hammerbeams from which angels have been removed, arched braces to brattished collars, short king posts, bosses where purlins meet principals and at apex of arched braces, moulded and coved cornice to ashlar pieces. 3 bay C19 chancel roof follows C15 model with carved stone mask corbels. From nave to tower a pointed arched doorway. From vestry into nave an originally external moulded pointed arch. Nave north wall rood loft stairs with segmental pointed arched headed openings. Nave south wall towards east end has a small piscina with a cusped segmental pointed arched head, broach and bar stopped hollow jambs, octafoil bowl. Chancel east window has C14 shafted jambs with capitals and roll moulded rear arch. Chancel south wall towards east has a C14 angle piscina with 2 heavily restored cusped and crocketed ogee arches on shafts, a complex pier to centre with a stiff leaf capital, sedilia below south window. In vestry a C17 communion table with turned legs, a C17 timber chest with circle patterned front, Lord's Prayer and Credo Panels. C19 furnishings include an octagonal font, poppy headed bench ends, Gothic pulpit, richly traceried chancel screen, tiled chancel floor, communion rails. Monuments: chancel north wall, a large standing monument of 2 marbles to 3rd Lord Henniker, d.1821, and wife, by J. Kendrick; moulded base to pedestal with inscription, quadrant corners, 2 nearly life size female allegorical mourning figures flank a tall cylindrical pedestal carrying arms and a funerary urn with profiles of Lord Henniker and wife, behind 2 pilasters and a simply moulded round arch. Flanking this monument are 2 oval wall tablets, marble with painted arms and inscriptions to Dame E. and Sir J. Major, d.1780 and 81, the other to Dame A. Henniker, their daughter, d.1792; also a cartouche to R. Killigrew, d.1707. Chancel north wall has Henniker hatchments. Nave north wall marble tablet to Hon. Major Henniker, d.1842, by W.R. Woodington, draped urn and military trappings on a sarcophagus; also a tablet with an urn and scrolls to F.A. Henniker, d.1823 by J. Kendrick; further C19 and C20 Henniker memorials, hatchments. Nave to west has Royal Arms of George II. Chancel floor slabs, C17, to Bokenham family, some with arms. Glass: nave to south towards west end, a window by Morris and Co, 1901, 3 full length saintly figures with musical angels above. Mid C19 glass in nave and at east end of chancel.
Listing NGR: TM1039171427
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing