Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:04:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 04374 69232


WESTHORPE CHURCH ROAD (NORTH SIDE) TM 06 NW 4/106 Church of St. Margaret 29.7.55 GV I

Parish church. C14; south porch added, refenestrated and raised with a clerestorey in C15, north chapel added in early C17, chancel restored 1896. Flint rubble with ashlar dressings, some knapped flint, red brick north chapel, cement rendering to north. Stone flagged nave roof, slate chancel roof, asbestos aisle roofs. Nave with north and south aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch, north chapel. Large 4 stage west tower, double plinth with ashlar band, to west a 2-light Perpendicular window, hoodmould continued as a string course, second string course to second stage with a small louvred cusped lancet, hoodmould continued again, string course to belfry, openings with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, quatrefoils in segmental pointed arched heads with hoodmoulds, some tracery broken, cornice to chequerwork parapet; 4 stage diagonal buttresses to west and straight buttresses to east, to south a semi-octagonal stair turret to 2 lower stages and a lancet in second stage. Nave clerestorey has four 2-light windows to each side, cusped lights, traceried segmental pointed arched heads with brick voussoirs. Nave east end rendered with a small blocked light near apex of gable. South aisle has 3 broad 3-light Perpendicular windows, continuous string course at sill level, that to centre part blocked by south porch, 2 stage diagonal buttresses to returns, to west a tall 2-light pointed arched C14 window, cusped ogee lights, quatrefoil at head, mask stopped hoodmould, to east a large C14 3-light window with a pointed arched head, complex curvilinear tracery, mask stopped hoodmould. South porch: outer pointed arch with inner chamfer and outer ovolo moulding, semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases, mask stopped hoodmould, above arch a small cusped niche, shallow gable with string course to embattled parapet, chequerwork plinth, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, blocked 2-light Perpendicular windows in returns with mask stopped hoodmoulds. Inside porch a stoup with a cusped ogee head, inner double wave moulded pointed arch, mask stopped hoodmould, original door with traceried panels, cusping and crocketing, early iron ring handle, 2 bay arch braced roof. North aisle has 3 windows as to south, to west of centre a pointed arched door with wave and hollow mouldings, hoodmould, to west a 2 stage diagonal buttress with a C14 2- light window as on south aisle. Low chancel has a parapet with ridge cross, 2 stage diagonal buttresses. To south two C14 2-light windows, cusped ogee lights, curvilinear tracery, segmental pointed arched heads with hoodmoulds, to centre a low side door with scroll and roll moulds in a pointed arch, 2 stage buttress. To north a blocked window and early C17 north chapel with an offset brick plinth and another offset at sill level, to north a segmental pointed arched headed 3-light window with intersecting tracery, outer cavetto moulding, C18 architrave with key and impost blocks, cornice, rebuilt embattled parapet, octagonal turrets at angles, east return has a blocked window with architrave as to north. Interior: pointed chancel arch, inner chamfer and outer wave moulding, semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps. Pointed tower arch, double chamfer with an outer hollow moulding, semi- octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases. 4 bay nave arcades, octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases, double chamfered pointed arches, traces of original painting on some piers with figures in ogee canopies. 8 bay nave roof has alternate tiebeam and hammerbeam trusses, a roll moulding at sill level in clerestorey with semi-octagonal corbel shafts to posts with moulded arched braces to cambered tie beams; over heads of windows short posts to brattished hammerbeams, small arched braces to moulded principals, moulded butt purlins, coved and brattished wall plates, angels removed. Lean-to aisle roofs have moulded principals and purlins. Late C19 scissor braced roof in chancel. C17 chapel roof has crossed ovolo moulded beams, a heavily moulded central pendant with smaller drops at beam ends and angles. Chancel has a C14 window to north now opening into chapel, tracery as to south, east window rear arch has shafted ring capped jambs, chancel south wall restored C14 piscina with octafoil bowl, cusped ogee head, crocketed finial and pinnacles, sedilia below adjacent window had a cusped arched head of which a crocketed pinnacle survives. At north east angle of nave a pointed arched doorway onto rood stair behind which is a quatrefoil opening and a restored piscina with a cusped head, traceried sprandrels, head of rood stair projection is brattished. South chapel south wall C14 piscina, quatrefoil bowl, cusped ogee head, restored crocketed finial and pinnacles. From north aisle to north chapel a depressed arched opening replacing a window. In tower a pointed arched stair turret doorway, an iron door with multiple crossed iron bands, in tower an early ladder. Above south entrance are traces of C17 wall painting with an inscription. C14 parclose screen to south chapel, lower panels with traces of floral painting, open upper panels with ringed shafts to varying traceried heads, pointed and ogee arches, some circle tracery, brattished cornice, traces of original paint. In nave a plain octagonal font on 2 steps, moulded below bowl, C17 pyramidal timber cover, lower quilloche band, moulded ribs to pinnacle. A C15 semi-octagonal pulpit, restored base, 2 panels with traceried heads, a C17 leaf ornamented capping. In north aisle a C17 box, pew with fielded panelled sides, turned finials at angles, across north chapel entrance a wrought iron screen with 3 foliate finials, chapel floor has early C19 painted floral slabs. Some early benches with ball headed ends, a poppy headed end in nave and others reused in choir stalls which have C19 traceried frontals. An early segmental headed chest with iron bands. Altar table top is an old stone mensa. In north aisle Royal Arms of George II, dated 1751; over north door a painted inscription for Westhopre Charity Estates, dated 1844. In south aisle a chamfered pointed arched recess with a simple Purbeck marble slab reputed to be tomb of Henry de Elmham, c.1330. In north aisle an early floriated cross slab. In nave attached to north arcade pier a mural to N. Fox, d.1679 and M. Fox, d.1676, crudely inscribed panels with marble surrounds, arms above, rustic skull and festoon below on a console; brass insets in nave floor. North chapel east wall is filled by a large monument to M. Barrow, d.1666,by M. and H. Shelton. Marble. A life size semi-reclining figure on a chest tomb with moulded base and capping, behind a mural with a circular Latin inscription in a wreath border, curtains held back by large flying putti, segmentally raised cornice with arms above with flanking putti and urns, on chest tomb an inscription by way of Shelton's signature, wrought iron grille surround. Chancel north wall a mural to W. Barrow, d.1613, painted alabaster, kneeling figures with arms and seraphs, aedicular surround with arms in a separate aedicule above, inscribed panel below. On east wall a small tablet to M. Dandy, d.1615, alabaster surround with arms. On south wall a small inscribed brass plague to R. Elcock, d.1630 with arms in a surround.

Listing NGR: TM0437469232


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16227/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Storey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].